Artisan 1430 not accepting color management controls from Painshop Pro?

whereISpurple

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
I'm running Windows 10, using Paintshop Pro 2019. I had a custom ICC profile made because I hate the results I'm getting from the stock Epson color profiles. I have set my Artisan 1430 to default printer, and I have installed the custom ICC profile and made it the default profile in my device properties in Windows under the Artisan 1430 printer.

When I go into Painshop Pro, I go to the color management settings and the custom profile is already pre-loaded, with color management checked. Rendering intent is set to "proofing". I go to print, the Paintshop Pro print dialog shows the Artisan 1430 as default printer. I select my page setup in Paintshop, and hit print.

The result is a dark, non-color managed print. The same result as turning ICM controls off and using nothing to manage the color. I know the profile works, as I have printed from Paint.net with the custom profile set as the printer's default. Although, I need to print from Paintshop Pro because it allows me to scale the print size exactly how I want it. But something is not working correctly.

Is Paintshop not processing my profile selection, or is the printer not accepting color management instructions from Paintshop? Why am I getting a non-color managed result? The same profile should produce the same print regardless of which application uses it, correct?

Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here?

Last edited:

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Does anyone have an idea what is going wrong here
I don't really, I'm not really clear about the settings in Windows, in the driver and PaintShop.
There are seveal possibilities if a print - done with a profile - appears to be too dark.
If you google for that phenomenon you get lots of links like these
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/why-are-my-prints-too-dark/
http://www.colourspace.xyz/why-are-my-prints-too-dark/
We don't know yet if this is the case in your situation.
Yes, you can assign a profile to a printer in the Windows color mgmt driver settings , it needs some clicks and is not
flexible if you want to change papers and profiles with it - but it can be o.k. as s default setting.
What are the driver settings - ICM on or off ? Which difference do you see in a printout from Paint.Net with these ?
I'm not aware which color mgmt settings are supported by PaintShop Pro, even more with their plenty software versions over the years, I think they added some options to support that better over time. There could be a risk that a profile is activated twice via the driver/Windows and the application software/PaintShop.
I'm irritated about the rendering intent 'proofing' for a printer, that rather would be a function for the software to preview the print on the display instead

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm irritated about the rendering intent 'proofing' for a printer
I thought with Rendering Intent one chooses something like Perceptual or Colorimetric.

You can then print proofs or proof on your monitor to see the results of your settings manipulations.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Proofing is a function to emulate one output device on another unit - e.g. emulating the printer on the monitor - or emulating the output on one type of paper with another printer with another paper - this all would require a profile for both - for the unit emulating another unit, and for the latter unit as well.
I thought with Rendering Intent one chooses something like Perceptual or Colorimetric.
Yes, 'Perceptual' would be the most typical one for printouts or rel. col. in some cases.
If you assign a profile via the Windows settings you should not activate this or another profile again in PSP, or you only use that profile in PSP and deactivate the profile in the Windows settings.
Some Epson printer drivers offer less of those settings as decribed in the Red River document.

whereISpurple

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson Artisan 1430
I don't really, I'm not really clear about the settings in Windows, in the driver and PaintShop.
There are seveal possibilities if a print - done with a profile - appears to be too dark.
If you google for that phenomenon you get lots of links like these
http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/why-are-my-prints-too-dark/
http://www.colourspace.xyz/why-are-my-prints-too-dark/
We don't know yet if this is the case in your situation.
Yes, you can assign a profile to a printer in the Windows color mgmt driver settings , it needs some clicks and is not
flexible if you want to change papers and profiles with it - but it can be o.k. as s default setting.
What are the driver settings - ICM on or off ? Which difference do you see in a printout from Paint.Net with these ?
I'm not aware which color mgmt settings are supported by PaintShop Pro, even more with their plenty software versions over the years, I think they added some options to support that better over time. There could be a risk that a profile is activated twice via the driver/Windows and the application software/PaintShop.
I'm irritated about the rendering intent 'proofing' for a printer, that rather would be a function for the software to preview the print on the display instead

The only solution I've found seems to be quite nonsensical. With color management controls turned on in Paintshop Pro, it automatically turns ICM off. However, the result is not the color profile that I'm aiming for. It appears to apply no profile at all. With essentially the same settings (ICM off) from Paint.net the profile just works. No idea what the difference is there.

A couple of things that I found - In Windows color management, there are some redundant menu settings. The first accessed through clicking the device where it allows you to select a profile on the system and make it a default, and then a secondary menu under "advanced" tab which looks exactly the same but features a "change system defaults" button, where you can add and make default the same profile. Completely redundant how there is two profile menus that look and function the same in Windows settings, but I think it might have done the trick.

It still won't accept Paintshop Pro's color management input, but as Red River Paper stated you need to go into it's menu setting and turn color management off. What kind of sense does it make to have color management built-into Paintshop if the only solution is to turn it off? Ridiculous. So then I had to go into my printer's preferences, turn ICM on and decided to select a blank menu selection for the paper profile. I've no idea why there is a blank selection, but my custom ICC never shows up in the printer's menus for some reason so I just went with the blank profile selection.

From that point I was able to print from Paintshop and mysteriously, the color profile I'm aiming for now works. Again, I don't understand the issue in Paintshop's settings, apparently others have gotten the settings to actually do what they're supposed to do, but I won't work that way for me. From what I've heard, Paintshop's rendering intent such as pictures, proofing, match, etc. are essentially the same as other applications rendering intents like perceptual, colorimetric, saturation, and so on.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I'm glad you found some program/driver settings which work for you. Epson drivers for the desktop printers - do not allow you to activate 3rd party color profiles via the driver, Epson selects the icc-profile based on the paper selection, and that's it. Only drivers for larger format printers - P400 and up - like the example by RedRiver for the P800 - let you activate such 3rd party profile via the driver directly. You are right - letting you print with a blank profile selection with ICM turned on is confusing, but if that's how it works for you just use it.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
In Windows color management, there are some redundant menu settings.
No surprise. Windows is known for having multiple ways to perform the same action/function. There is, however, a difference in that the Advanced tab allows for fine tuning of settings for all the devices available.