ArgyllCMS B&W targen

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
The next stage of patch reading, which proved impossible with the first "greyscale only" targen settings, was straight forward with the second 335 greyscale/622 colour patches target.

I have created a profile for 200g PPD pearl microporous paper, using these targen settings and printed a test image in both colorimetric and perceptual rendering.

The results are very satisfactory and show more even greyscale steps (I can see a difference between the two darkest black steps which I could not before) and excellent colour. I am allowing the prints to mature a day or so and will then scan them and display them here, together with a copy of the profile file and the CAP file, in downloadable form. This was definitely a step improvement!:)

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
These are the scanned test print images, the left is colorimetric and the right perceptual intent.

335greyscaleColmtric.jpg 335greyscalePercept.jpg

This is the profile as a .txt file. To use, rename .txt to .icm and place in the color folder with other profiles.

30-11-2014 PPD 200g pearl 335 greyscale.txt

The profile is for the Canon Pro9000 Mk2 using IS inks and PPD pearl microporous 200g paper, but should be good on any microporous.

The CAP957.bat file used to generate the profile is the normal CAP957.bat found in

http://www.printerknowledge.com/thr...p-argyll-cms-profiling-on-your-computer.8570/

with the targen line edited to:- targen -v -d2 -G -e8 -B8 -g319 -f957 %pcn1%

Attachments

• 30-11-2014 PPD 200g pearl 335 greyscale.txt
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,040
Last edited:

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
As an alternative to your approach, I find manually adding a fixed set of gray and near neutral gray patches to my ti1 file quite acceptable. I first make up my targen with the default 4 white and black patches with no gray (-G) and using a pre-profile. Then I add this set to the ti1 file before proceeding with the printtarg command. You will need a spreadsheet to change the first column to the appropriate "SAMPLE_ID". Remember that the data must be space delimited (not tab) so I make that replacement in a word processor before copy and pasting into the ti1 file. I use an XML editor for making the additions. You will also have to modify the "NUMBER_OF_SETS" in the ti1 file to reflect the new total number of patches.

I had originally played with the -N nemphasis command but find this method does the trick for me. Your mileage may vary.

You can use this method to add custom patches to your ti1 file (spot colors). You will have to use XICCLU to lookup the XYZ values for patch recognition in chartread, but that's a another discussion.

Attachments

• extra grays for ti1.txt
    11.2 KB · Views: 761

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
An interesting idea that would not have occurred to me! A little more difficult to pass on to others, but you are taking control!!:)

soberprinter

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 2400, 1400, 3520, 410
In my earlier Googling for information about neutrals, I found many using this scenario. I "think" this is why the "-N nemphasis" came about. How far the default distribution of patches is "tainted" by the -N parameter is not know by me but this way it isn't. You need to know how far away the grays lie from the neutral axis with no profile applied so your new patches to be added can be at least that far out. I run a rip for my Epson 2400. Using OCP colors, after linearizing the RIP, my grays are definitely cyan heavy. After calming the grays down to an acceptable neutral point, I can then let the profile take over and do the magic. The less work (contortioning) the profile has to do, the better the results.

The pre-profile in targen really assists in getting neutrals pretty close before adding the additional (kinda) gray patches.

It takes a lot of cut and paste between programs to get the data formatting correct, and targen wants everything scaled 0-100. As long as I keep playing with Gutenprint (Windows port), Argyll and MS Excel, I don't have to worry about getting "Oldtimers" disease. :)

Even though it "seems" like a lot of work, when you're a geeky retired old man, it's very enjoyable.

Maury

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
@Emulator

Did you get my profile, (link in PM) how did it turned out?

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
In my earlier Googling for information about neutrals.........

Even though it "seems" like a lot of work, when you're a geeky retired old man, it's very enjoyable.

Maury

I know what you mean! I am in the same postion.

Thank you for advancing the knowledge base for everyone.

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator

Did you get my profile, (link in PM) how did it turned out?

No I am not pursuing any additional topics at the moment. Try posting your own thread on PK. You may find someone who is familiar with the applications you are using.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
I was just trying to help.

How is Argyll making the gray color list?

@soberprinter

Is this good way to make such list? This is LAB, A is a; A is b; B is c;

Permutations without repetition (n=3, r=3)
Using the first 3 items: {a,b,c}

List has 6 entries.
{a,b,c} {a,c,b} {b,a,c} {b,c,a} {c,a,b} {c,b,a}

So if we choose values like L = 1; A and B = from -2 to 2 ?