Are you concerned about print longevity?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I don't recall the source article I saw last year, but I did read about weakened data over time on CD's and other magnetic media. The other interesting issue is the lifespan of data storage technology. How many of us just purchased a computer with 5 1/4 inch floppy drives, either 180 or 360 K capacity, or with a floppy drive for 3 1/2 inch disks? I also have a pile of 100 and 250 zip disks sitting around with no drive to read them! External hard disks have replaced my CD data backups for 2005. Who knows what next year's new data storage will be?

pebe

Printer Guru
Reaction score
I could understand magnetic media losing data over time - not to mention the possible mechanical failures! But CDs are not magnetic - they use reflected light from a laser and they are made from polycarbonate. So if they fail it must be some sort of material failure. I wonder if there is some longterm bio-degradabilty built into them.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The discussion seems to have gotten away from the original topic.

Yes, count me in as someone who wishes 3rd party ink had greater longevity. As someone who does a lot of printing, and who has been disappointed with the longebity of alternate inks, I would pay double for longer-lasting inks. Even paying double, it would be a terriffic bargain. These days, if you need longenity, you just about have to use Epson inks...why is that?????

CanonPhreak

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I noticed some problems with the testing.

I use weink inks with red river polar matte and polar satin, those recommended by weink for their inks, when I print photos. I noticed that none of the inks where tested with either paper. I definitely DO NOT see the kind of fading that this testing shows.

Grandad35 said:
Fellow members:

We are getting close to posting our findings on the fading of 3rd party inks (http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=634).

We have been in contact with a few ink suppliers to discuss what it would take to improve the longevity of their troublesome colors so that their inks would be competitive with the OEM inks. We will not directly quote what we were told, but it boils down to Bulk ink is a very price competitive market. The ink formulators have the technology to improve the longevity, but it would increase the price of the ink (perhaps double the present price) such that no one would buy it. They feel that the vast majority of their customers are printing throwaways, and that longevity is of no concern to most people. They may be right, but it would be interesting to find out how many people ARE concerned about longevity. Please reply to this thread with a short note as to whether you are or are not concerned about longevity. If there are sufficient numbers who are concerned, perhaps they will listen.

I will start by stating that I am interested in improving the ongevity of my 3rd party inks.

sigpop

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i would pay a bit more for longer lasting prints. my wife prefers printouts for scrap booking. if she puts a lot of time and money into it, i don't want the pics fading after a couple years.

i currently have a canon i960. i use canon photo paper plus glossy. for ink i have used the oem inks and a few third party ones. i'm not a fan of the refill kits, but i do buy the generic carts. i considered buying one of the new 6600D models with the longer rated inks, but i'd rather wait until someone figures out a generic refill for that system.