are toners different between Xerox printers

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Can I use Xerox 6180 MFP 3-party refill toner for a Xerox 6515 WorkCenter. The bottles have not been opened, but are around a couple of years old.

I am wondering what the implications are. Is the toner too old. How likely is it that the toner is compatible between two Xerox laser printers.

Any comments will be appreciated.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Normally Xerox power toners are very much compatible, the age of the bottle and contents will not be a problem either, because they are still sealed and once in the cartridge it will keep it over its lifetime...

There are different toners out there but they usually only apply between each machine manufacturer...
P.S. make sure you physically empty out all the old toner before refilling...

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
I have also done more research and found in one of the manuals for the Xerox 6515wc an explanation for adjusting the fixing temperature. That's something I never had to do, but is obviously an option. I was mostly worried about particle size. As that seems less of an issue I may have to use the substitute toner.

I have the proper toner on order, but, when one uses the lower shipping costs, the shipping takes a while. I may run out of toner before the new toner arrives. Yes, I know, I did a baddie, and waited to long before ordering. So, if pressed, I will try the alternate (other model) toner. If that happens I will report on the results.

That raises a secondary question. In general the method is for toner to be imaged onto an image drum, and then onto a transfer belt, and lastly past the fixer. The question is, what are the chances of damage to the image drums, the transfer belt, or the fixer, other than leaking all over if particle size is wrong.

kdsdata

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pro-100 & Brother-L8900
Here is the result of using 6180mfp refill toner to refill 6515workcenter cartridges. It worked. Print-outs look good. Absolutely no visible difference.

I might add koodos to Xerox for the new style toner cartridges (the image drum is now a separate unit).
1. Simply swap the chip (available on Alibaba).
2. Slide the fill cover aside.
3. Fill with toner (watch that you don't press the fill bottle to hard, so that you don't get puffs of toner).
4. Close the slide cover.
5. Go outside to blow off the spillie-stuff "DOWN-WIND", and you are done.

The chip replaces easy, no holes to cut as refill openings. No refill has ever been this easy. Thanks Xerox.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
It worked. Print-outs look good. Absolutely no visible difference.
@kdsdata, thanks for your feedback and I’d glad everything went well for you, now you know how to do again for the next one... ;)
No refill has ever been this easy.
O’ if you think that was an easy refill you should try a cart from the Pro 10... :D

YourInkedGirl

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L360
Can I use Xerox 6180 MFP 3-party refill toner for a Xerox 6515 WorkCenter. The bottles have not been opened, but are around a couple of years old.

I am wondering what the implications are. Is the toner too old. How likely is it that the toner is compatible between two Xerox laser printers.

Any comments will be appreciated.
The toner cartridge shelf life is 2 years if the protective bag is unopened or 6 months after the protective bag is opened. About compatibility? I'm not sure but you can always try... :D:D:D

Latest posts