Are BCI-6 & 3eBK cartridges measurement same as CLI-8(CMYK) & PGIBK?

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
Hi My printer uses CLI-8(CMYK) & PGIBK cartridges. I wanted to buy new compatible cartridge & subsequently for refill. However may I know if the size and measurement of BCI-6 & 3eBK cartridges are the same as CLI-8 & PGIBK & if their chip placement is at the same place? The reason why I wanted to get these BCI-6&3eBK cartridges are because I saw one of those cartridges where they have the replacement tank & frame separately. I only need to change the chips onto the frame and I can just replace as many tanks. However, the place where I could purchase them only have such design for BCI 6 & 3eBk type of cartridges. So I am wonder if the BCI-6/3eBK dimension is the same as CLI-8(CMYK) & PGIBK cartridges. That way I could use such BCI-6/3eBK Cartridges on my printer where the cart holder is used to hold the CLI-8(CMYK) & PGIBK cartridges? All I have to do is just change to the CLI-8(CMYK) & PGIBK chip.

Thanks.

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Sorry, Lin - Bci-6 and bci-3ebk carts won't work in the printers that use the chipped carts.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
fotofreek said:
Sorry, Lin - Bci-6 and bci-3ebk carts won't work in the printers that use the chipped carts.
I thought BCI-6 & 3ebk carts also uses chipped, isn't it? Though their chips are different. I thought I could switch the chips on CLI-8 & PGI5BK carts over to the frame that is holding BCI replacement carts. The only problem is whether their BCI carts have the same measurement that would fit into the CLI-8 & PGI5BK slots of the printhead cart holder.

Do correct me my misconception.

Thanks.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
No, they don't fit. What can be done is putting CLI-8 carts into a BCI-6 printer. I tried it and it works accept for the now useless chip. The problem is the indentation where the chip is on the CLI-8 machines making it physically impossible to put BCI-6 carts in those chipped printers and you still need the necessary chips.

Dustbunny

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I am a long time canon owner, and had a printer that used BCI's and I used the 6's .. I did not have a chip on either cartridges

We just received a new MX 700 Canon that uses the PGBk and 8, all have chips on the end of the cartridge.
Other then just the red lights, what else does the chip do on the end of the cartridge? I was also wondering if I could not just use a 6 for ink and do without the red lights.

I also have tired in the past of the cheap inks, they are nice on the pocket book, but I have had problems with them in the past
(low ink wells) ink that is spotty, ETC
for me, IT is not worth it, so I stick with the canon inks.

which is one reason we went with canon to start with, their inks are some of the cheapest out on the market, ( when buying single ink wells) and I can buy one at a time
instead of replacing and throwing away 1/2 of the ink in a 3 color cart, when one color is out.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
No, they don't fit. What can be done is putting CLI-8 carts into a BCI-6 printer. I tried it and it works accept for the now useless chip. The problem is the indentation where the chip is on the CLI-8 machines making it physically impossible to put BCI-6 carts in those chipped printers and you still need the necessary chips.
Hi pharmacist, thanks for responding.

Chips I would have image can switch over provided the design/placement of the chips on BCI 6 & CLI cartridges are the same. That is what some of the people are doing to the compatible CLI cartridges without chips. Just remove the chips from CLI-8 and attached to the cartridge holder frame. However, if the size and placement of the chip of the BCI 6 carts are different from CLI-8 carts then I will have problem implement these changes. I have not use any of these BCI-6 Carts so I do not know how different in terms of size are they compare to CLI-8.

I wonder if anyone here can show a picture with one of the BCI-6 and CLI-8 carts with one directly on top of the other at the bottom so that I can visually see the difference in sizes. Probably if some kind of measurement such as height and width of the cartridges of the 2 would be most helpful.

tigerwan

Printer Guru
Reaction score
You can not take a chip off the CLI-8 or PG-5 and place it on the BCI-3 or BCi-6. This is not possible because the cartridge casings are not made the same. Where the chip is supposed to be put on the CLI-8, it is flat, and recessed, specifically for the chip. On the BCI3/6 it is not, you can not place a CLI-8 chip here at all.

lin

Print Addict
Reaction score
tigerwan said:
You can not take a chip off the CLI-8 or PG-5 and place it on the BCI-3 or BCi-6. This is not possible because the cartridge casings are not made the same. Where the chip is supposed to be put on the CLI-8, it is flat, and recessed, specifically for the chip. On the BCI3/6 it is not, you can not place a CLI-8 chip here at all.
Hi tigerwan, thanks very much for the information.