Are all inks the same? Canon IP3000 - looking for water resistant inks

jake Tecmar

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Bear with me, I need some setup...

I have an epson 660 and I get inks from IslandInket.com. The colours are water resistant on most paper I put through it - even staples "card stock" 110lb. I figured this was the norm.

But, I had a bottle of black from an old "generic inkjet refill" that I had lying around and used that for refilling my epson's black - that ink runs like crazy with the slightest moisture.

So I figured, all GOOD inks are the same, right?

I bought a new Canon IP-3000 and printed on that same card stock above. I could get a little water on my finger, rub the card and SMUDGE!

My friend has a Canon 850 and he get's his refills in the US and his inks are colour fast ...

Ok, so your saying go get some refills and it should be ok - but from what I have read Canon's new inks are not very water resistant...

I want to be able to print on generic card stock, cover stock, linen card stock and I don't want the ink to run at the slightest sign of water ... ideally, I should be able to run the cards under water and it should not smudge.

Has anyone noticed any differences in refills between manufacturers for Canon IP3000 where some seem really really water resistant?

Or am I in a dream land?

Thanks,

Jake

hpnetserver

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ip3000 uses dye based ink, except black. The CMY inks are not water resistant. The blck ink in the BCI-3ebk is pigment ink so it is water resistant. There is really nothing you can do to change that. If you try to use pigment ink on the CMY channel they will be clogged and your printer will not print eventually. If you want water resistance you will need to use Epson's R-800, C2200 and a few other newer models that use pigment ink. Those printers are very expensive and the price of ink will empty your wallet fast. You will be fighting against clogs all the time as well.

tcool93

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I own the IP4000 which uses the same inks as the IP3000, except for one color, and it definitely IS water resistant. I've tested it. In fact, my brothers Epson is the printer that isn't water resistant. I know because I accidently got water on one of his pictures and tried to dry it off, and the ink smeared easily like a chalk board. The Canon picture I later tried it on, and it did not smear.