Apple and Color Management

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
....snip....Nikon is going - gone......snip
@3dogs - Could you elaborate? I haven't followed the "camera wars" for many years, but I was under the impression that Canon and Nikon had similar market shares.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
@3dogs - Could you elaborate? I haven't followed the "camera wars" for many years, but I was under the impression that Canon and Nikon had similar market shares.

Ok! will do but first,........." Nikon carrying passengers can take their lifejackets off, get out of the lifeboats, and go back to swimming in the pool:gig.........relax. take a DEEP breath."

Commercially nothing has changed as far as I am aware BUT in another forum (yesterday) a Nikon owner was discussing moving out of Aperture due to its demise, back into Lightroom and in the same breath was talking of the demise of the Nikon version of their own processor . Now I have also not been following events in NikonLand but if I was a user I would be worried, as he obviously was.

I will search out the post and report further, but I am not thinking its as big a blow as the end if Aperture, that leaves a hole in the market and less competition for our dollars....not good news at all.

Andrew

ADDED The silly fellow has his wires crossed, Nikon are launching a new version of Capture........

Last edited:

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

In my readings they seem to be about the only two camera companies (Although heavily diversified) still making money.

Predictions are for a major shakeout soon. Sony is slated to survive.

Of course this comes from the same genie-arses who failed to see the coming 2008 economic collapse.

RS

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
In my readings they seem to be about the only two camera companies (Although heavily diversified) still making money.

Predictions are for a major shakeout soon. Sony is slated to survive.

Of course this comes from the same genie-arses who failed to see the coming 2008 economic collapse.

RS

Spot on! Consumers are being bombarded, with phone cameras, compacts (in every shape form and colour) and the pond is just so big. The development costs must be astronomical.
Marketers are a fraught breed, victims of their own "you can" syndrome. It seems that they ALL believe that saturating the market with choice will bring rewards, as you imply.....its a house of cards

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
Building a hackintosh is definitely one way to get a cheap Mac but if you’re trying desperately hard to learn, conquer or master correct colour profiling and printing on a Mac then I wouldn’t pick that route.

You could be introducing to many unknown hardware problems into the mix and I reckon you might end up getting side tracked or worse even hijacked, Adobe applications work that little bit better on Mac built machines..

Well I think that building a hackintosh is not only the cheapest way but also the smart way to go, since you can upgrade pretty much everything like cls mentioned in his post. As far of hardware compatibility I have no issues what so ever, actually my hackintosh (i7 4770k) works as good (if not even better) as my macbook pro 8,1. All you need to do is to pick the right hardware to avoid the headaches down the road. I have Windows 7 & Mavericks 10.9.4 running on my hackintosh and in both I have PS 2014 and LR5 and to be honest I can't tell the difference between both when it comes to profiling. The main reason that make me look in to mac was the stability when running PS I got fed up with PS crashing so many times so I decided to build a hackintosh and haven't look back. :ya I was so impressed with the stability of PS in Mac OS (Snow Leopard back then) that I decided to add a macbook pro to my toy collection. I think it all comes down to what suits you best.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Lolopr1 said:
Well I think that building a hackintosh is not only the cheapest way but also the smart way to go, since you can upgrade pretty much everything like cls mentioned in his post. As far of hardware compatibility I have no issues what so ever, actually my hackintosh (i7 4770k) works as good (if not even better) as my macbook pro 8,1.

I would have to agree with you 100% minus 1, everything you said makes complete sense to me but…

Where I was coming from was, if someone is trying to master the art of profiling on a new platform like Mac and there are hidden hardware issues (Unknowns) that could put the hicks on everything. :he

There is nothing wrong with working on a Mac but if you thinking Windows that’s where the problem arise, take @jtoolman, he likes working on Mac’s but hates printing from them, his choice.:cool:

There are so many right-handed people in this world, so how come lefties never get confused which hand to work with.. :woot

lolopr1

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 4800,R3000 & 9600
I would have to agree with you 100% minus 1, everything you said makes complete sense to me but…
There are so many right-handed people in this world, so how come lefties never get confused which hand to work with..
I'm ok with your 99% :celebrate Once in my life I didn't have to worry about which hand I used. I was pretty much ambidextrous, but that was 20+ years ago :gig

Last edited: