Anyone used "Canon Utilities Color Management Tool Pro V2.0.1" ?

l_d_allan

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
The software bundle that came along with my Canon Pro 9000-2 includes:
Canon Utilities Color Management Tool Pro V2.0.1

At first I thought it was part of Win7, but ... not really?

I have just barely played with it, but it appears to print out two pages of color rectangles in a 22x17 grid. My speculation is that you make the prints, and then scan in the page. Then perhaps software that is also part of the Canon Tools would analyize the scan and then produce a print profile for that specific paper + ink + printer.

My further speculation is that the quality of the scanner would be an issue. I've rarely used a scanner, and never owned one.

But certainly it might be better than nothing. I could have a scan made at our local Sam's Club on their commerical Fuji/Kodak scanners. Ask them to clean the platen first. Resolution is less important than OCR, but color fidelity would be a big factor.

But experience from forum participants appreciated. How does it compare to "Profile Prism" that I've seen mentioned a few times?

RMM

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Profile Prism does use a scanner, and the scan quality is VERY important. How it knows what the colors should be is that you scan a standardized color target (IT8) side by side with your target print. It then creates the profile based on that scan. It has worked well for me. I have profiled about six printers now (multiple papers usually for each one) and every time the results have been great. I have not however tried to profile any fine art/rag type papers; I'm not sure how the texture of the paper would affect the output.

If you'd like I'd be willing to generate a few profiles for you for free all you have to do is print the target sheet and mail it to me.

Anyhow... here are a few of my posts about Profile Prism:

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5516&p=2

http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=6234&p=2