Anybody with an HP D7360 or D7460 ?

ssteve731

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I just talked with a very helpful gentleman over at the Alotofthings.com store, by phone. He seemed to be completely sold on the HP D73 / 7460 printers.

Now I had said before, that I have been all through the refilling gig, and was really just wanting a good new printer, that used cheap aftermarket carts..... but this guy told me what I was already starting to figure, which is, their is pretty much no such a thing :-(
However, he then goes on to tell me how much he's loving these HP's (he says "it's the first time he's recommended an HP in 14 years" !) and how incredibly easy they are to refill.

He then takes me to a page on the Alotofthings website, which "shows me" how easy ! My first question was, "So do I even need to remove the carts from the printer to fill them" ??? "Well, no", he says, "However, just to be safe, in case of an overfill or something stupid, he always does". {I have to admit though, I'd be tempted to refill right in the printer, as it just looks SOOO easy :)

Ya' know, I had said before, that with aftermarket, prefilled carts, I could swap one out without even having to stand up. Well, depending on where I keep my refill supplies, I could still almost refill them, without having to stand up !

If you already have one of these printers, I'd love to hear about it. If you don't, check out this link: http://www.alotofthings.com/viartshop/article.php?category_id=57&page=2&article_id=568

Peace,
Fish

ssteve731

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Nobody ?

Well unless a few of you post to tell me, you got one and it sucked, I'll be buying one soon, and will post results here.

Peace,
Fish

Ken_CW_Honolulu

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The HP 02 series of cartridges is VERY easy to refill. Originals can be drilled, filled and sealed with a gluegun. I have not tried the gasket & screw seal on these, but would recommend care to make sure the screw does not block or interfere with installation. However, the original chip will cause printers to read empty and must be replaced for retail sale. I have not tried the third party clear carts with the auto-reset chip, but that seems like the way to go, especially as they purport to contain three times the original ink volume. The third-party auto-reset chips are supposed to reset the ink monitor to full when installed, so you might have to reinstall them a couple times (a good time for refillers at home to top off the cartridge).

I would SOOOOO not inject ink into the cartridges while they're installed. That is just begging for trouble. Really, how hard is it to take em out and inject them on a safe, efficient workspace. Why apply injection pressure to your printhead and inklines if you don't have to?

As with all printers with the printhead seperate from the inktanks; make sure you keep your printhead clean. A failed printhead spells disaster for those who are unable to dismantle the printer and remove the printhead for deep cleaning. Note that when you turn these kinds of printers on, they usually run a cleaning cycle which runs some ink thru your printhead. Also, if you leave such a printer on all the time, they will occasionally run a mini cleaning cycle once a day or so. Thus, it is theoretically possible to run out of ink without ever printing anything.

Note that there are six colors (CMYK with Light Cyan and Light Magenta for photos). So you'll have to have six different inks, and I'd recommend a seperate syringe for each color as well. No vacuum chamber is necessary and there is no air bubble pressurization issues like you get from epson inktanks. There's no sponge like the Canon BCI-6 or CLI-8 series so no flushing of the sponge is necessary. All you need is ink and syringes.

ssteve731

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you very much Ken. Speaking of printheads, I need to go check the availability and price, of a printhead for these printers. I agree about not filling the carts, without removing them. It just seems so easy :)

BTW, the guy that wrote the review I linked to, and whom I talked to for a good bit before I posted about these printers, says he has yet to see one of these clog a printhead.... even after setting for 3 and 4 months with zero use. Sounds great, but I still like the idea of a small test print every day or two, just to keep things fresh :)

Thanks again,
Fish

fmlymtrs

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
HP D7360-having problems with this printer. It is saying that the yellow ink level is low, but when I replace with a new cartridge, it doesn't recognize it! Has anyone had this problem, and how can I fix it???