Any opinions on purchase - Artisan 837 vs. PIXMA pro 100?

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
My Artisan 710 is having new problems every day and seems to be retiring.

I'm trying to decide between two printers for a replacement. I realize one is wide format and the other isn't but right now they are nearly the same price because both have discounts going on. One is the Epson Artisan 837 and the other is the Canon PIXMA Pro 100.

From the research I have done it seems Canon might be the better printer but.....it also seems that there is more potential for costly disaster with refilling. I can't afford losing print heads.

Of course I know there can be problems with any printer/ink system.

If i go with the Artisan I will use a CISS. If i go with the Canon I will use refillable cartridges.

If anyone wants to share an opinion on either printer or on the decision making process in this regard I'd appreciate hearing what you think.

Thanks.

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
My Artisan 710 is having new problems every day and seems to be retiring.

I'm trying to decide between two printers for a replacement. I realize one is wide format and the other isn't but right now they are nearly the same price because both have discounts going on. One is the Epson Artisan 837 and the other is the Canon PIXMA Pro 100.

From the research I have done it seems Canon might be the better printer but.....it also seems that there is more potential for costly disaster with refilling. I can't afford losing print heads.

Of course I know there can be problems with any printer/ink system.

If i go with the Artisan I will use a CISS. If i go with the Canon I will use refillable cartridges.

If anyone wants to share an opinion on either printer or on the decision making process in this regard I'd appreciate hearing what you think.

Thanks.

Cant offer an opinion on the Pro-100 as I have not had one. I do have an Epson 730 on CISS, and it has been a real pain in the A$$ from about week three. The CISS is a good one. Hundreds are in use and it is well supported.

BUT

One really HAS to use it at least every three days or it gets air in the lines. I got air in the Black and have had a miss nozzle ever since....its a dye printer and I also have a Epson 3880 (pigment) and a Canon pro 9000. They also need regular use and I just found that the Idea of having the flexibility and the ease of the three systems just did not work out for me. I do Matt printing, cant stand glossy as its like standing in front of a reflective window looking at images ....Just my preference tho.
CISS needs constant care its like a baby always a shi##y nappy to change
Pro 9000 have to keep the sponges wet
3880 I just run a print - anything really the standard test print is a goody as it uses most of the colours and keeps things sweet.

The idea of CISS, for me was brighter than the reality.

Good luck with your search

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
It's not clear which max format you really want to print, they are different for the mentioned models. And once
you go away from the original cartridges - refill or CISS and with other inks you do that at your own risk, and some of the money you think you save you'll spend otherwise, profiling, cleaning, CISS hazzles etc. Some of the Epson models don't really like a CISS, other printers are running on a CISS for years with no problem whatsoever.

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thank-you both for your replies.

I think I should have mentioned - I have been using a CISS on numerous 710's for 5 or 6 years. For the amount of printing I have done (mostly matte paper - photo notecards) - I really haven't had much problem except the past year and I'm still not certain if it is just the printers wearing out or if my CISS system is also having problems. I have had to do some repairs on it but if the problems I'm having are solely with my printer then it might make sense to stick with Epson.

I'm not sure the 837 will work with the model of pianobook I have as I purchased it at least 5 years ago.Maybe Leonard will know.

I was considering switching everything over to Canon and refillable carts instead as it seems there are a lot of Canon fans on here and the price for the Pro printer is very good right now with the rebate.

I don't think using it every couple days would be a problem - I can usually print something every day even if it's just one thing.

I'm not sure exactly what you mean by "max format" but assume maybe you are referring to what I mentioned above - mostly matte paper - some photo paper. Almost all color.

Thanks again!

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
the Pro-100 is a 17"/A3 format printer, the Artisan 837 a combi unit for half the paper size when I look it up. Some of the Epson units with the cartridges separate from the printhead and feeding them via tubes are reported elsewhere to create problems with a CISS, but I haven't looked inside into this one

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Thanks. I don't have to have a wide format printer for any particular reason. That said - when it is almost the same price I certainly wouldn't mind having the option to print larger.
Leonard said I would have to purchase a new model CISS so that does add an extra cost to the 837 if I go that route. He also suggested the 1430 but it is quite a bit more costly.
Still debating....

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
the Pro-100 is a 17"/A3 format printer, the Artisan 837 a combi unit for half the paper size when I look it up. Some of the Epson units with the cartridges separate from the printhead and feeding them via tubes are reported elsewhere to create problems with a CISS, but I haven't looked inside into this one

@Ink stained Fingers you will find the Pro 100 is a 13”/A3 and not a 17”/A2 printer, I reckon it was probably only a slip of the finger ? :hu

annel

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 710, Canon PRO 100
Well I made a decision and went with the Canon. For $148.00 and 50 free sheets of 13x19 semi-gloss it was too tempting.
The hardest part is switching from LJH Ent who has served me very well for 5-6 years. But I do still have one Artisan 710 that I haven't buried.
I want to say that this forum has been a huge help to me. Were it not for the many posts I have read on here - I would have given up on my printers many "problems" ago. I am amazed and grateful at how much help I have and can receive to keep my printers running.
Thank-you!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
annel said:
The hardest part is switching from LJH Ent who has served me very well for 5-6 years. But I do still have one Artisan 710 that I haven't buried.
He will still appreciate your loyalty to him..:hugs :thumbsup