Any Inexpensive Laser Printers That Work Reliably[Wireless-No Jamming]?

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Inexpensive=$150 or less delivered , Toner: 3rd party carts $30 or less. [Remanufactured or new]
I have been looking at comments on Amazon, and NewEgg. SCARY!
Seems No printer is reliable for setup and operation using wireless and/or none is free of frequent jams.
I would like a monochrome laser that
  1. Supports auto duplex printing,
  2. Scanning, FAX NOT NEEDED
  3. Speed not critical
  4. Size not important
  5. Inexpensive as defined
  6. Prefer[not mandatory] supports USB wired connection
I need to print wirelessly from:
  1. Windows 7 PC and Win 8.1 and hopefully Win 10.
  2. Macintosh [Yosemite and Maverick]
  3. iPhone 5/5s
  4. Android tablet[Nexus 10].
Does such a laser exist?
Does it have other important negatives?

If there WERE such printers that no longer are available new but are available used at fair price, I may even buy one of those -The negative comments for new printers scare me. More negatives than I have ever seen for a product class.{except some Windows versions}.

THANKS_ I am a true novice when the subject is laser printers, I've used Canon ink jets without these problems for years. [I've been around for 8 decades]

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I don't think that one does WiFi, but the updated version does:

http://www.amazon.com/Canon-imageCL...s-Monochrome/dp/B00MWDUXZ0/ref=dp_ob_title_ce

There is a customer review that says it worked for all the devices and Operating Systems the OP mentioned except Windows 7 which he had not gotten around to trying yet.

I don't know the quality and durability of this laser printer but it seems to fit the OP's requirements.

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
STRATMAN
It looked good until I read the reviews on Amazon. Looks like this laser also fails with Mac OS X. ONE REVIEW EVEN SAID PROBLEMS WIRED TO A MAC.
It seems to be OK for Windows but I need MAc support too.
THANKS for updated info.

I still have the question unanswered:
Does such as laser exist[as I have listed requirements]/

Fenrir Enterprises

Print Addict
Reaction score
No, I don't think any printer out there fits your exact needs.

Keep in mind that people who either don't know what they're doing or got a defective printer are more likely to leave a bad review than someone who had no problems will leave a good one. I generally avoid mixed-review products, but if I find an excellent deal or only one product fits my needs I'll buy it anyway, most of them have worked out in the end. Search all reviews for Macs and see if other people got it working right. Also take note of which operating system version they have.

You may want to look for webstores that specifically cater to Mac users.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Looks like this laser also fails with Mac OS X. ONE REVIEW EVEN SAID PROBLEMS WIRED TO A MAC.
From Canon:

OS Compatibility
Windows 8.1, Windows 8, Windows 7, Windows Server® 2012, Windows Server 2008 R2, Windows Server 2008, Windows Vista®, Windows Server 2003, Windows® XP, Mac® OS X 10.6 & up, Linux, Citrix (FR2 and later)

Some on Amazon said it did not work. Others said it did work. To me, this usually means the people it did not work for either did not understand how this printer needed to be installed and set up or something else prevented them from using the printer that was outside the fault of the printer.

The online manual for this printer states:

For Macintosh users
The CD-ROM/DVD-ROM supplied with this
machine may not include the printer driver
for Mac OS.
This is different depending on
when you purchase the machine. Please find
and download the appropreate driver on our
CANON homepage. For further information
on installation or using the driver, see the
Printer Driver Guide for Macintosh.
One reviewer on Amazon mentioned this as well.

I have zero horse in this race. My suggestion for you is to purchase a printer from a business you can easily return it, hopefully for no restocking fee. The local Microcenter is wonderful for this reason alone. I consider the higher price to be an insurance policy for these types of purchases. Also, go to the store and see the quality of the text/images before purchase. If you have a specific paper you like to use then take that as well. Then you will know the quality of the output.