Any experience with this Canon IP5200 CISS?

marcc

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I'm considering buying a CISS for my Canon Pixma IP5200; does anyone have experience with following system:
http://www.yatego.com/hardware-vers...s-für-ip4200--ip4300--ip5200--ip5200r--ip5300 or http://shop.strato.de/epages/61219338.sf/de_DE/?ObjectPath=/Shops/61219338/Products/4892117085218?

I'ld like to know specifically a) how to refill the reservoirs (there seems to be no explanation of that in the "umbauanleitung" that is downloadable from the second link), b) whether the tubes are silicone (rather than soft PVC), and generally if it is a reliable system...

TIA,
marc

Shimrod

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I can't comment on that one, but I've had two types of CISS for my IP5200. The first one worked ok (bought from www.9to6.co.uk) if you had the printer about an inch higher than the ink reservoirs. I let the ink get too low in the reservoirs though, and the cartridges drained of ink, and I was unable to reprime them.
I bought a second one (which was branded colorfly and bought from www.cheapprinterink.co.uk), and that one has been working fine as well - so much so that I've bought another for an IP4200 I have. This one has the ink tanks that can be kept on the same level as the printer.

I do a lot of full A4 colour photos - the 9to6 system had done around 150 photos I think before my mishap - the colorfly systems (between them) have done around 650 photos and still going strong.

I have not had to use gromets on the ink cartridges for either of these systems. Both cost the same at around 40 with ink - the 9to6 had a lower price but ships from Ireland so had quite a high postage cost.

Shim

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Shimrod said:
I can't comment on that one, but I've had two types of CISS for my IP5200. The first one worked ok (bought from www.9to6.co.uk) if you had the printer about an inch higher than the ink reservoirs. I let the ink get too low in the reservoirs though, and the cartridges drained of ink, and I was unable to reprime them.
I bought a second one (which was branded colorfly and bought from www.cheapprinterink.co.uk), and that one has been working fine as well - so much so that I've bought another for an IP4200 I have. This one has the ink tanks that can be kept on the same level as the printer.

I do a lot of full A4 colour photos - the 9to6 system had done around 150 photos I think before my mishap - the colorfly systems (between them) have done around 650 photos and still going strong.

I have not had to use gromets on the ink cartridges for either of these systems. Both cost the same at around 40 with ink - the 9to6 had a lower price but ships from Ireland so had quite a high postage cost.

Shim
Nice site but ink is 2 times more expensive than I used to pay for 500ml bottle, and profiling service is so overpriced too.
Basic 420patch profiles without any information about creation and what software they use is 20$ when you need at least 1430patches or more if you are going to print photos. Good profiles can't be cheap but I do not adore the concept that user needs to pay more for what it's worth either. PM me if need further info.

Shimrod

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Smile,

I see you are quoting in dollars - everything in the UK costs more than in the states! the CLI8 cartridges are around 1/2 the price in the states compared to the US. Ink price seemed reasonable to me (about the same as most other UK sites). I haven't purchased any profiles - I 'tweaked' by printing a test page, taking a photo then twiddling with monitor and printer settings until I was happy with the result!

Shim

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Shimrod said:
Smile,

I see you are quoting in dollars - everything in the UK costs more than in the states! the CLI8 cartridges are around 1/2 the price in the states compared to the US. Ink price seemed reasonable to me (about the same as most other UK sites). I haven't purchased any profiles - I 'tweaked' by printing a test page, taking a photo then twiddling with monitor and printer settings until I was happy with the result!

Shim
I'm not from US, I'm from Europe. I'm quoting in dollars just because dollar and euro are international currencies and I converted the amount from pounds to US dollar because you can compare to other stores more easy. I'm the owner of a company that creates professional ICC/ICM profiles and provides IT service/consulting, Web design services. My company works most locally because it's the best way to ensure client satisfaction and reduce user errors. We plan to begin taking printer remote profiling orders internationally from Jan-Feb 2008, payment accepted by Paypal.

Now for the huge price we pay for OEM ink everyone should have a possibility to get a custom profiles for their printer. And trust me it's experience that makes 50% of color profile quality. Good support is a must.

With all this chipped carts thing you should be able to get a free profile creation from Canon or whatever brand you may use themselves.

When even the big companies like Chromix charge you around 100$ for 1 profile that is too much expensive I think. The support is not so good either bouncing between different staff members etc. Ridiculously small prices on the other hand are suspicious too, like they say you get what you pay for. I use to say: You can always get better, but not necessarily more expensive.

The ink and paper is the key for good looking prints. But if you do dome research you will find out that in Europe we pay the exact same amount of money like in US but only in euros, the currency conversion does not apply. Most stores list price like 50$ and if you look at their European Union store like Germany price will be the same only in Euro. So I DO say ink is overpriced.

I do not know (since the site do not specify ink brand) but myself refer price comparison to InkTec ink. It's considered one of the best by fading testing.