Any Discounted Canon OEM INK MX922[c251,c250] USA?

fotofreek

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
I didn't see any direct compare of PC. BUT I did see actual print, the colors Y/C/M looks very good. Sadly no side by side with OEM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eh5zr7hQIs8

Rose - unfortunately I didn't keep my side-by-side comparison prints from the very beginning of my refilling days. I did the same prints with OEM and IS inks from MIS - that was before Precision colors came onto the scene. I was primarily interested in skin tones. I found that with the exact same printer settings and Canon glossy paper the OEM prints had too warm a skin tone for my taste and the IS inks were closer to what I liked. This was some 11 years ago before I was exposed to custom profiles, etc. Otherwise, the print colors were exceedingly close. Also, with prints of various members of the family some erred on the warm side more than others. Being rather unscientific in my approach, I sometimes do what I had done in the darkroom. A few test prints for something critical, followed by the "keeper" print adjusted to the best test print settings.

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
Thank You fotofreak.
FOR ALLPerhaps a thread that is pinned on Canon ink/carts test results would be useful to everyone.
I think only results intended to be permanently displayed should be sent to that thread.
Is there a way to do that?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@vienna01 there is a way to do just that, BUT and it’s a big but, nobodies colour tests are that exact or binding because every test is preformed differently in many ways.

Tests that are done today will be out of date next month, yes that quick the goal posts keep on moving so what’s good today may not be that good tomorrow.

Beside every individual that carries out test prints do them on different machines, different papers, with different inks, on different continents and in different environments, it would be a complete waste of time which would take many many months to collate the data, only to find that it’s out of date !

Your best bet is to go with the flow and get a setup that suits your requirements, then look at the many different ways to reduce your own printing costs, good 3rd party dye inks are 75% cheaper than OEM ink but like OEM it too will fade in time, but if you want longevity then go for a pigment printer.

Here’s the big BUT again, refilling is expensive to setup and start, the savings only come later with time, and to finish the only tests that are worth while in my opinion are the ones you do yourself..

vienna01

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MX922/Canon LBP6230dw
You mentioned that setting up refilling is expensive. Of course that word's meaning is different to different folks. If I understand the web site's of ink vendors, a set of refillable carts and first bottles of ink for refilling is about $70 USD. The ink is the only additional cost afterwards...or do the refillable carts need to be replaced often? Of course if users can't have any down time with their printer they need a second set of refillable carts.Then the first cost is a bit over $100 USD.
I don't consider this too expensive. I do think $100+- for a set of OEM carts is expensive. If the yields of OEM carts were close to what Canon projects, even OEM carts would not fit my definition of TOO expensive. Alias the yields Canon projects are optimistic!.
I have some cheap non-oem carts that I plan to test for color but not test for fading. If they are terrible I won't use them. If not terrible I'll use them for non-critical printing' stuff only I see.

AFTER LEARNING FROM THIS FORUM I will go the refillable carts & ink route going forward. If I had known what I know now I would have gone that route from the first use of my new printer and saved the "setup" OEM carts for printing a batch of important prints later.

I wish I hadn't bought any non-OEM prefilled carts when I bought my printer. I might be able to return them.[Amazon]. Even with extra return shipping cost that might be my best option. If I can return them, I will go ahead and buy my refilling setup immediately.

This likely will be my last post on this subject until I have some worthwhile information to offer the forum.Please don't be upset if I don't reply for now.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
Cartridges do not ordinarily wear out, although some people do wind up replacing them sometimes, for reasons that are not clear to me. I think you can expect a $100 refill kit to replace hundreds of dollars (or more) of OEM ink, and then you will still have cartridges.

Some third-party cartridges develop internal leaks if they are not well made. You do NOT want a cartridge to develop an internal leak, as it could make quite a mess. OEM cartridges are best if they can be refilled; otherwise you will need a set of quality third-party replacements.

I almost bought an MX922. I live in North America. For that printer, based on my experience with the dealer, my choice would be the Precision Colors cartridges.

Last edited: