Anatomy of a Canon 830/31 cartridge

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Hello everybody!

Ever since I joined this great forum it looked that I had canon experts all over and they had literally thrown out poor HP (the world's largest printer mfr) out of the window. I did rant over a few problems with HP on the forum but received very few responses. So guess what I went ahead and bought my first canon printer. A canon ip1980.
This printer uses 2 carts one for black and one for color viz. 830/31.

My Q ------has anybody refilled these carts? these look like plain foam carts, more interestingly has anybody opened one of these carts to share the foam size etc and what is the empty weight of these. What is the max ink that the carts can take. What brand of ink have people used and what results. Is there a resetting problem with these carts?

Rgds,

Jasii

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Those of us who promote Canon printers, do not promote the ones with the print heads built into the cartridges like the one you got, or any other brand that does that. The color cartridges are so much more difficult to refill, mainly because you cannot see how much ink you are injecting and it is so easy to overfill and cross-contaminate the colors.

Unfortunately, the current crop of Canon printers are so cheaply made that most of us don't recommend them anymore. That is why I continue to buy the older used Canon printers, especially the ones that use the unchipped cartridges (BCI-6).

jasiiboss

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Like they say life has to go on.

Yesterday's printers no matter how good they were have had their run and the sooner we get to know the intricacies and the workarounds of the newer crop of printers the better for all of us.

Lets us start by dissecting the above mentioned printers cartridges for everybody's benefit.

RGds,

Jasii