An Update on refilling my PGI-9 Cartridges

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I have in the past mainly used the drill-hole method in the bottom of my cartridge to refill them
but from time to time I also used the dribbling method.

But since switching to the SquEasy bottles I am now mostly using the dribbling method to refill.
Its much easier to use these bottles rather than syringes because it makes the filling more controllable.

I put the cartridge on the scales when filling and know when to stop squeezing
out the ink by just watching the scales get to the desired weight.

When you can see the cartridge is full its only a matter of allowing the excess ink to be sucked back into the bottle.
The dribble method is as fast now as using the drill-hole method was and I can fill the cartridge in just over a minute..

5128_pgi-9.jpg

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
This is the first time I've seen a picture of a PGI-9 cartridge. What printers does it go in? It looks like the outlet port is oblong instead of round, is that correct? I'm wondering also if it has a sponge and a reservoir like the more common PGI-5?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
ghwellsjr I'm wondering also if it has a sponge and a reservoir like the more common PGI-5?
This cartridge only fits the Pro 9500 with its new designed outlet port which prevents it from clogging.
The inside holds only a diaphragm and counter weights that is all and the outlet port is the only hole to the inside.

The outer case is not even air/water tight, so once the bag gets punctured the cartridges is rendered unusable.
The little window in the sidewall of the cartridge is less than useless for refilling,
and there is no prism on the cartridge either for ink monitoring, the chip controls everything..;)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
Will the drip method work on other cartridges, say the Cli8 & would there be any benefits over the top & German methods?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
rodbam said:
Will the drip method work on other cartridges, say the Cli8 & would there be any benefits over the top & German methods?
Rod:

Do you think you would be able to fill the spongeless side of the cartridge in this manner? How long you think that might take? Unlike the closed system of the PGI-9, do you think ink might drip into the atmospheric venting of the CLI-8 cartridge and clog up the works?

You're a Guru now and have advanced to the Socratic method of learning. ;)

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Bugger me you're right Stratman, I will leave the silly questions to the mere forum participators from now on:)
I would imagine a mere forum participator would say they would cover the atmospheric venting with their finger but us Guru's know that is silly a:)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
Nah, Rodbam. It was Saturday - which is, like, Wednesday for you on the other side of the planet. So... I thought I would give you questions instead of answers - because your bassackwards and all that Down Under. :D

Give my best to Nicole Kidman! :p

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
First it's ghwells snatching up every good printer available. Now it's The Hat stealing the hearts of my women! Next it will be rodbam keeping all the good shrimp for himself.

It's a tough world out there. :(

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
I went to give your best to Nicole but Keith Urban beat me to it. Dame Edna is quite receptive will sHE will do:)