Am I crazy?

Tinderbox (UK)

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I just bought an SX525WD , great printer only 60 :) , I noticed the pc software has an auto update feature, and i wondered if Epson could use this to block non original ink cartridges by updating the firmware in the printer.

I am still using the original supplied cartridges, and have yet to try any cheap non oem replacements or an ciss system.

Thanks

John.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
You may very well be more correct than you thought. In a PM with another member I brought up this topic I noted as stated below.

On the InkRepublic site, in this location:

http://www.inkrepublic.com/members/josephbertony/review.asp

Joeseph Bertony (Australia http://www.windconcepts.net) praises the IR system for his

3880 on Oct 2010. Shows many great pix of his home business setup. Not bad for gent about

to celebrate his 90th birthday. The rude/crude awakening in his review shows up in his

update of July 25 2011 after the pix:

"To reset the ink level, I have find that it is better to switch all off like at the

initial installation, the little ink use in flushing is of no consequence with your system.

However, there is something of interest for you, As you know, when one needs to load or

reload Epson driver, like an upgrade, Epson has one eye into your computer, and they did

conclude that I was using non Epson ink, so for while I could not use the printer at all

on my iMac, the printer will come on and disappear, I have find a way with this,

reloading the driver and cutting off just before registration."

Wow!!Does this mean 'big brother Epson' is watching over us?? And entering into our PC's

under the guise of an update and altering the content. This trespass seems most illegal and is a possible felony.

jrv weiner

Tinderbox (UK)

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I found this.

forums.steves-digicams.com

Epson updating firmware via internet?

Since Epson introduced the latest printers with the nine pin smart chip cartridges, there have been many problems experienced by those who have used compatible cartridges instead of the Epson orginal. Basically the problem has been that about every three months Epson revises the firmware on its range of printers using the nine pin chips, with the result thatany compatible cartridges installed after the firmware revision will no longer be recognized, although the genuine cartridges are not effected. This has caused much grief for resellers, users and manufacturers of the compatible cartridges as the compatible chips have to be updated to accommodate the firmware revisions, and these constant upgrades by Epson is making this problematic for the aftermarket industry.

However, it appears that this situation has become worse and potentially disasterous for those who do not wish to use non genuine Epson cartridges. The problem is that some customers who have been using compatible cartridges with 9 pin chips without any problem, suddenly find that the printer starts to give erratic chip recognition problems. This happens with cartridges that had been recognized OK over several replacementsandoccurssuddenly, even if the cartridge ishalf empty and not requiring a replacement. Changing the cartridges for new ones does not solve the problem and the printer gives all kinds of erratic chip recognition errors when the new ones are installed. The possible explanation forthis sudden problem is that Epson may be quiety updating the printers firmware when connected to theinternet, which then causes the compatible cartridges to suddenlygive chip recognition errors. A check reveals that one of the Asian suppliers of the compatible 9 pin chips believes this is the case.

So far, the only way to overcome this problem is to replace the compatible cartridges with refillable cartridges (CIS) These cartridges have chips with different instructions on them and this may prevent them from being effected by any possible Epson firmware upgrades - although this does not mean that they may not be disabled in the future, the Espon nine pin chips are quite sophisticated and it is reported that only 10% of their memory is utilised at the present time, so there is plenty of room left for Epson to add more information on them.

It would be interesting to know if there are others who have experienced problems similar to above or who may be aware of any possible internet firmware upgrades that cause these problems.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The best way: NEVER register and NEVER update the firmware. Especially by downloading via the printer driver dialogue window. This will always be a cat and mouse game. If it works, stick to it.

irvweiner

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Having just opened this Pandora's box I suggest the community get the details of this intrusive 'auto update feature' upfront and out to the users.

1: What present Epson (and others) printers are known to contain these charming features? How can we detect their presence?

2: What does it take to disable such features? Generate a clear detailed procedure.

3: Get the word out to as many printer related forums as possible.

4: Repeat 3 as often as possible.

Drivers can be reloaded, removed, backdated or updated but the firmware in the printer seem to be updatable only--no return to a previous version.
I am will to assist all who desire to contain these aggregious corporate actions.

irv weiner

Tinderbox (UK)

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I don't know if Epson is actually doing this, but we need to find out.

I am using Kaspersky to stop the software "Driver Update/E_GUPA30.EXE" from running , I though about using the firewall to block the driver update software , but i though since i have a wifi printer it might cause me problems.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
If the printer is connected directly to a network, either wi-fi or wired, you should be able to block Internet access at the router. The router should have a section on access restrictions, and you just block Internet access for the printer.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Its not the printer that is communicating with Epson.com but the computer printer driver updates..