All In One Inkjet Printer, Help !!!

del8oy78

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Hi everyone

i have a budget of 300

I am looking to print & scan high quality images of my family to keep, so i'm looking for a good inkjet printer which i can purchase compatable inks (preferably individual inks) with a built in scanner & copier. (fax not essential).

One thing that would really benifit me as i use a Wifi laptop is the ability to connect it wirelessly (Like the HP3310)

i am new to photography & i don't want to run out & buy any old printer & be left with rubbish results

i have read reviews on the HP3310 & they all seem to say it's very poor, output quality of pictures, crashing pc, Ink taking a long time to dry then wiping off the paper & smudging etc, although it really has everything i want in a printer. If there is a good photo printer out there that i can get good results with please help me.

Thanks in advance

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To del80y8,

Canon inkjets--with the excption of models with a R suffix are less than stellar in networking, But otherwise I would tend to recommend a MP760 is you can find one.
The MP760 is non-chipped and has an excellent scanner---the MP750&780 are similar but lack the really good scanner.

You might also look at some of the new chipped Canons---the MP800 or MP950 might due but I am not really knowlegable there.

But when you start talking wireless I am sort of clueless--but I believe you can buy equipment that adds that capacity from sources other than Canon.
And at prices cheaper than Canon charges.

del8oy78

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
thanks for your quick response Osage.

I'm looking to go out on Saturday & try & pick a printer

If you had the choice of all in ones which would it be, forget it being wireless i can just plug it in when i want to print something, but i would prefer the compatable & individual inks.

Also if anyone has had experience with a HP3310 i would really like you opinion on what they are like, as i have only read ones on the internet.

Osage

Printer Guru
Reaction score
To del08oy 78,

If you are willing to table the networking question, its still somewhat iffy on what to get--especially by Saturday---not because of lack of choices---but because of lack
of availability.---simply because--and I should add in MHO---the better choices we should have in a free market simply are no longer being manufactered.---With all inkjet printer manufacters moving to some sort of chipping scheme to force the consumer to use very expensive OEM ink cartridges.--with the possible exception of brother---but they seem to have reliability and quality problems.

Many of us on these forums use or used the non-chipped Canons using the BCI-3&6 cartridges---because these printers can use dirt cheap prefilled cartridges readily available on the internet or mail order---what you perhaps mean when you say compatables. The other charm of those non-chipped Canons is that they can be readily refilled. Which bottom line means that one can engage in photoprinting without it breaking the bank.

Epsons have somewhat equal potential---but many of their current models are not all that long lasting and are likely to suffer from clogging problems. HP's and Lexmarks with the printhead on the cartridge don't offer much hope in terms of refilled cartridges or compatables---and the modern HP's tend to use very small cartridges--some as small as 4 ML ink capacity.

Kinda leaving Canon as the last man standing---but the modern readily available models are chipped---they can be refilled but at some extra hassle but third party compatable cartridges are not an option---but still are pretty economical compared to HP--OEM cartridges to OEM cartridges--by a factor of 2--which is why I mentioned the chipped MP 800 and MP950.

But if you can do some creative shopping on ebay or the internet you just might find a non-chipped MP 760---but not likely sooner than Saturday.---but its still what I think would fit your needs best----the hat trick is finding one.

del8oy78

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
i have looked into the Canon MP950, but unfortunately it's not avaliable in the UK yet

but they have a Canon MP800R which looks just as good It's about 250 & i have just seen a Epson RX700 for the right money too, anyone own any of these & can tell me how good or bad they are please ??

It's now narrowed down to 2 - Epson RX700 or a Canon MP800R

Many Thanks :)

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Well, when I was doing my research on the whole Multi-functional printer side of things about 6 months back I was turned particularly towards the canon side of things.. Ultimately it was the fact that every review tried hard to slate the Canon MP780 (or 750) but just couldn't find anything to say on the negative.. What really tripped it for me though was that fact that the Canon will handle photocopying tasks at speed, so the scanner will be scanning and the printer will have started output before the scan has completed.. Epsons on the other hand were all sitting and waiting for processing to be done before they printed...

Of course this was 6 months ago and since then Canon have reared their ugly chipped cartridge head so it's no longer the budget choice to go with a canon but for all that I noticed that the Canon cartridges seem to last somewhat longer than the Epson ones and they also seem to dump less ink into the waste tank unlike the Epsons which I've noticed, from user comments all over, seems to put the "service required" message up all too quickly for most peoples liking.

I think on reflection I'd probably suggest the Canon but I'd also suggest that, if you can, you wait until the MP950 has been out for a few weeks in the UK and for the prices to drop somewhat as a result.. It can't hurt..

Hope that helps..