All Epson Printers are at 1440 x 5760 dpi

titani

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
All Epson inkjet printers have a resolution of 1440 x 5760 dpi. This does not make sense to me. Surely all the Epson printers do not produce the same quality output. Please help me understand it.

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
??? Why haven't you just written one post in one thread asking all these questions about DPI instead of starting 4 or 5 all covering the same issue.. it just looks like spam?!

As to why the differences in X and Y axis, that's simply enough... the motors that handle the length of the page also control just how fast the page is produced and as PPM (pages per minute) are such hot stats you have to economise somewhere. Add to that, you're physically moving the paper which has varying qualities and you have no control (as a printer manufacturer) as to how well it will move through so there's no sense in wasting time or effort trying to create the same DPI resolution down the length as you can get with the width, where the only issue is the design of your carriage system and belts, motors, etc...

That's my laymans perspective on the situation and hopefully it's not too far off the mark.