All cartridges except one from different sets duds? [SOLVED]

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
Hello. I got my hands on an XP-720 with plenty of non-OEM cartridges and full waste ink. After cleaning/drying and a trial reset with WIC, I was doing test prints after only 4 printhead cleaning cycles. Until I noticed that it wasn't printing photo black and the waste ink counter was full again.

Got a reset key and removed the print head for cleaning (previous owner did say he never knowingly used photo black).

However I now have the issue, that the printer only recognises the dye black cartridge that was in it when i got the printer (the colours and pigment black are empty).

It does not recognise any cartridges from the same make or the other make that I got with the printer (it also came with a lot of cartridges without chips and instructions to mount chips). Not even other dye black cartridges.

But the printer has recognised that one dye black cartridge again and again (after trying out the other dye black cartridges).

Investing in new cartridges* is not something I'm considering, as I would have no other use for them and I haven't done any prints since removing the printhead (it might not have survived).

From what I could see, there is no chipless solution available for the XP-720. So right know it looks to me like I got a scanner and a couple of cartridges from which to extract unknown ink for who knows what.

Thanks in advance and many good things for the New Year :)

*Edit: Original cartridges. I might get a set of non OEM to try after holiday shipping time has passed.

Last edited:

Chakonari

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Nothing worth mentioning.
Took the initial cartidges out of the bin, cleaned and put them in the printer. It recognised all of them. After that I was able to replace them with cartidges that weren't being recognised before.

But it looks like the head is mostly clogged again from sitting recently... only one pigment black channel printing now (could also be that I busted the print head when I was cleaning it).

Mystery about cartridges not being recognised solved. Rest I'll be able to deal with too.