After a *simple* way to split an image with an overlap.

guymark

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Several
Hi.

This is a software issue so hope I have plonked the question in the right place.

I am trying to use the Epson 9600 to produce a two piece spot of wall art (two vertical strips to go on the wall as wallpaper). It is to cover a little entrance hall wall in a friend's tattoo parlour edge to edge and top to bottom. Alas although only a short wall, it is about 8 inches wider than the 44" I can print - so thought I would simply print it out on two vertical "drops" of 36" paper and then let them "trim in place".

Photoshop is being used to actually print the image BUT it seems photoshop is NOT brilliant at splitting an image into two sections especially if you want an overlap of about 5mm (or XX number of pixels).

I have found several online photosplitters which split an image quickly and without fuss, but none of them that I can find - allow for an overlap - to give a little wriggleroom for iffy walls, bad hanging or less than perfect printer paper alignment.

I cannot imagine I am the first person to want an otherwise simple "split this into two bits please" button once I have uploaded my image - BUT need to also have the option to require an overlap of the two images. (In case I am not using the right term, I mean the two edges which join each other have a small bit of duplicated image which can be either trimmed OR overlaid when hanging on the wall)

If anyone knows of an online utility to do this OR a downloadable utility OR even a sensibly priced SIMPLE to drive program, please do let me know. I don't mind spending a little money if there is a great program that makes the task simple.

I have looked at Photoshop and while I am totally convinced it could be used to do the job, it would appear that it is certainly not a five minute "click click click - done" experience. with my level of skill, "click click click - done" is ideal :)

If need be I can just manually copy and then "crop just under half of the image away" from two identical images - but if there is a simple little online or downloadable tool to do this, I would rather not re-invent a rather off-round wheel :)

Thanks for reading a rather longer than expected post!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Actually it is, Photoshop can do anything, and it’s not very complicated and you’d be amaze at how easy it is to do, if you see it done just once, try this PDF with a photo of yourself and play around with it till you get the hang of it, then try your project...
Let us know if it work for you... ;)

Attachments

• try this.pdf
    116.7 KB · Views: 559

guymark

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Several
Thank you.

I will give it a whirl :)

Robert Smith

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
I think all you need to do is:

Open the file, select Image --> Canvas Size and reduce to the desired width for the left pane with the "Anchor" set to the left arrow, save the result as a new file.

Open the file, select Image --> Canvas Size and reduce to the desired width for the right pane with the "Anchor" set to the right arrow, save the result as a new file.

So with an image of 10 units width, you could make two files, one of 3 units taken from the left margin, and one of 9 units taken from the right margin, resulting in an overlap of one unit.

Piece of pie. Easy as cake.

guymark

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Several
I think all you need to do is:

Open the file, select Image --> Canvas Size and reduce to the desired width for the left pane with the "Anchor" set to the left arrow, save the result as a new file.

Open the file, select Image --> Canvas Size and reduce to the desired width for the right pane with the "Anchor" set to the right arrow, save the result as a new file.

So with an image of 10 units width, you could make two files, one of 3 units taken from the left margin, and one of 9 units taken from the right margin, resulting in an overlap of one unit.

Piece of pie. Easy as cake.

Fantastic!

That is brilliantly simple and takes even me only seconds to do :)

Very much appreciated, thank you.

guymark

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Printer Model
Several
Had to wake this thread up as I have found a SUPERB bit of software that has come in handy after someone has asked me to help him print a billboard sized advert. This program is not only FREE (totally) but also allows you to specify amount of overlap. It then generates a PDF file with each sheet as a page of its own - so if need be you can also easily re-print sheet 11 (for example) without (as some printer drivers do) make you print EVERYTHING or NOTHING.

The software is small, simple and just WORKS.

http://posterazor.sourceforge.net/