Advice on IP6600D-Pro-100 print colors comparison

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, ip6600D, i900D
hey gang,
first let me say that having been printing off and on for the last 10 years i understand the need for screen calibration and have done so, and i do not get to crazy with "exact match" in my prints other than to be as close as what i call eye appealing.
My old I900D gave me great results, then later an I9900 gave great (almost the same) results.
This year i happened onto the IP6600D and i really enjoy this printer as it matches my Dell 2405 screen almost perfectly. I use "almost" because i know it would be easy to dial it in even better, but i'm realistic.
Since getting the 6600, my son has taken a huge interest in printing. He had a bit of a learning curve of course, but then became convinced that we needed to go ahead and set the Pro-100 up. So now it's up and running, but he is very disappointed with the results........namely the blues.
He's 100% positive that we have a defective unit, or ink.
I'm not so sure, but i do see the same image file giving different results from both printers.
The images posted here are from both printers (6600 and pro-100).............the 6600 prints match the screens that my son and I use as calibrated. the Blues are what we consider perfect..........the blues from the pro-100 are different, but knowing that things may need to be tweaked, i'd really appreciate any input from you all as to what direction to go.
I'm considering this,
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/838848-REG/Datacolor_S4SSR100_Spyder4_Studio_SR.html

If this is a printer or ink defect, i will talk to Canon.

here is the link to the images in case they do not show for you.

the single shots are original image files, the double images are the results with the 6600 being the top image and pro-100 below.

http://imgur.com/a/E1Zkb

Attachments

• qfLQo1E.jpg
    qfLQo1E.jpg
    228.2 KB · Views: 324
  • N75NF1J.jpg
    N75NF1J.jpg
    194.8 KB · Views: 327
  • AjXWCE1.jpg
    AjXWCE1.jpg
    158.1 KB · Views: 321
  • FyciWia.jpg
    FyciWia.jpg
    153.4 KB · Views: 301
  • 6BnSMEP.jpg
    6BnSMEP.jpg
    155.3 KB · Views: 287
Last edited:

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Rereading my post, i guess what i'm asking but didn't spell it out, is, shouldn't the blues be the same from both printers?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Rereading my post, i guess what i'm asking but didn't spell it out, is, shouldn't the blues be the same from both printers?
Hi Mike

Why would the blue be the same in both of your printers, most of my dye printers do print the same colours but I am using exactly the same inks in all of them, where as your machines are using I.S. and STS inks. (Might need another profile with the new one)

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880

Unfortunately, the quick and simple answer to you main question is a qualified MAYBE.

All printers have different gamuts. Usually, but not always, the more expensive printers, with more ink colours, have larger colour gamuts. So again in simple terms NOTHING IS THE SAME BETWEEN DIFFERENT PRINTER MODELS.

If you still want to pursue the matter, we could take the trouble shooting a step further. I am assuming you are using Canon OEM ink, and the printer settings are correct, as you have been using printers for some time.

Again, assuming there is not a simple and obvious setup oversight, we would need more information such as:

What paper?
What profile?
what colour space?
What rendering intent are you using?

The compressed display on this site makes it hard to critically evaluate your images, but the colour shifts could be due to the way your your colour management is handling out of gamut colour(s).

My guess, and only a guess, is the handling of your OUT OF GAMUT colours in the original file. Whatever rendering intent you have selected has some bearing on this effect.

Anybody have alternative suggestions?

Roy Sletcher
All types of support short of actual help.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
It can be hard to add something valuable to answer provided by Roy Sletcher but I'll try.

Maybe printing something (on both printers) with color management (ICC profiles) switched off in both printer driver and printing program? And then compare color shifts?

Ł.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Yes both printers are on the OEM ink with the exception of the Pro-100 which we did the PC yellow as Brian had suggested to avoid any crossover issues later when it is switched over to PC ink all the way.
Myself personally am very happy with the Pro-100.
To do a comparison we printed from the same image files, used Easy Photo print (this has always worked well for me), used Photo Glossy II paper and selected the appropriate profile.
Most of the blues come out nice with the Pro-100, but the darker blues come out purplish...........My son thinks it might be a color cartridge issue and so did the Canon tech.
The Canon tech also felt that something is amiss and offered to send a new unit out.........actually he insisted on doing so. It's another reason why i am a die hard Canon fan...........

Now to keep this thread from looking like a bash which it is not, i had my son print a 13x19 image from one of his RAW files in LR and he was blown away at what this printer is capable of..............I'm happy regardless of the color difference as i had 2 other printers prior to these that both needed a tweak here and there.

We tried the last suggestion by Lukasz as well which produced the same results.
Right now though, a color swatch made up in PS as a vibrant blue will print exactly as seen on the monitors with the 6600, but come out purple on the Pro-100.

We'll see what happens with the ink and printer Canon sends and go from there.

Regardless of how things turn out, i'm sticking with this printer as it just runs smooth.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Profiles for both printers would make them print correct, would it be the same? Who knows because gamuts are different.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
"Easy Photo print" - never use that crap as it makes the use of external profiles double profiling.

Use Qimage instead.

Printer certification is just that, the way to know your profile works like it should.

mikem65d

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
"Easy Photo print" - never use that crap as it makes the use of external profiles double profiling.

Use Qimage instead.

Printer certification is just that, the way to know your profile works like it should.
Thx.
Qimage is what i am going to use as i have had great results in the past.
Just upgraded to latest version.
My goal in all this was to get my son started in printing his images instead of being a pixel peeper and using the local drug store for his prints.
I told him that the concerns he has at this time were minor compared to how things were 10 years ago and to expect to make adjustments.............no free lunch, but pretty close.
Funny, he felt that the 6600 was a mere toy, and the Pro-100 just had to get setup to get pro quality pictures.........the following morning he was asking me if i had a backup to the 6600 :plbb
I'm having a blast watching him, (hims name is Dennis BTW) go through this process.

The 13x19 print really stopped him in his tracks tho:ya

Roy Sletcher

Indolent contrarian
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100, and Epson 3880
Thx.
Qimage is what i am going to use as i have had great results in the past.
Just upgraded to latest version.
My goal in all this was to get my son started in printing his images instead of being a pixel peeper and using the local drug store for his prints.
I told him that the concerns he has at this time were minor compared to how things were 10 years ago and to expect to make adjustments.............no free lunch, but pretty close.
Funny, he felt that the 6600 was a mere toy, and the Pro-100 just had to get setup to get pro quality pictures.........the following morning he was asking me if i had a backup to the 6600 :plbb
I'm having a blast watching him, (hims name is Dennis BTW) go through this process.

The 13x19 print really stopped him in his tracks tho:ya

Delighted you are showing your son the appreciation and enjoyment of well made prints.

There is something sensual and tactile about the qualities of a well made print that are not present on a monitor displaying the same image.

OK I guess my biases are showing as our local club has many members who do not print, do not like printing, and have no wish to print their images so I am probably in a minority, but hopefully not on this board.

Regrettably our local competitions will have 120 - 200 digital entries, and only 50 - 70 print entries.

I am also a fan of Qimage, having used it since its inception. My first profiles were made with Profile Prism before spectrophotometers and colourimeters became consumer priced products that the amateur could afford.

For the record Mike Chaney has a web site similar to this one devoted to using his products for printing, and personally answers many questions that arise. Well worth the visit at:

http://ddisoftware.com/tech/index.php

RS