Advice for pixma MP990

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi everyone, im new to this blog, looking to quickly get a bit out from this noobily state :D

Ive just purchased a mp990 and and Im now runned out of ink. Im looking for the wise choice over OEM cartridges. Ive read a lot about the well known german method, but the method that most called my attencion are the CIS.

My doubts is what are your advise between these choices for this model MP990, since Ive seen somewhere theres no much recomended the CIS for Canon. Ive only seen this system for purchase for this model here canon-mp990-cis, and looks fine, but im totally noobie to this, so im not sure.

I need ink now but dont want to be rushed in my choice; Im mainly interested (but that yes, out of the OEM costs :rolleyes:) on quality over price, and the most gentle method for the printer longlife.

Please dont be shy to share your thoughts, it will be very much appreciate. Thanks in advance.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
It depends on how much you use the printer.

MP 980/990 wastes a LOT of ink in print head cleanings and to add things up the cartridges are very small cli-8ml/pgi-19ml.
Canon heads and ciss don't go much too good together but if you print a lot then a ciss is a way to go.

I own an mp980 which is almost identical to the mp990. I don't print a lot but for me it's impossible to buy OEM cos of the ridiculous prices (80Euro/set) so atm I am refilling, I replaced original chips with ARChips and when I print I print mainly photo's and CD/DVD's but am fed up cos I have to refill very frequently every 3-4 days even so as I said I don't print a lot, so I ordered a ciss

you have to decide to refill or go ciss.

The german method is the best way to refill but for now you have to disable ink monitor which may void your warranty because it is permanently stored in the eeprom, a chip resetter will be available very soon http://www.3ppp3.de/resetter/resetter.html which will solve the ink monitor problem (thanks to pharmacist for the link)

If you go for a ciss then I suggest you buy a rihac one cos they have very good customer support and their ciss are build with very good materials. I did a lot of research and ordered one from them (waiting for it in the post) . . Please note that I am a paying customer to rihac and have nothing to do with them and/or their company

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks guys. SpideRMaN, Rihac seems to have not available a specific model that fits for 6-based inks MP990, with specific cartridges CLI-521/PGI-520; dont know how you seem to think this is going to be able to accomplish since there are not support for this.

I've found my previous choice site, Ecofiendlyinkjet to be a clone of others as Inkreloaded or Earthinkjet; a bit scaring and not a good feeling for this coloured nice looking sites, with up to 7 clone sites on several hosts.

Looks like Im only left with the refilling choice. What do you think about which is the one to go, german method, or the one linked by "Precision Colors" at his ebay store? 28oz Value Refill Kit for Canon MP980 MP990

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Try to contact them . .

I bought an empty one from them some 4 days ago and with 6 carts :) . . then I bought some ink including grey from another dealer . . (Yes presicion colors have all the 6 inks available).

As I said in the post above it's your Choice to select which method to use depending on how much do you print.

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SpideRMaN, CIS are designed to work on ARChiped cartridges, right? Since its said OEM cartridge are top quality to beat, would be wise to take empty oems, switch their chips with AutoReset ones, and plug and use them on the printer to work with the CIS?

Dont know if you get me..

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
kerman said:
SpideRMaN, CIS are designed to work on ARChiped cartridges, right?
You can put which ever chip you want on a ciss
If you put ARChip then you don't disable ink monitor and ink status will always show Full
If you put OEM Chip you have to disable ink monitor (will be permanently marked in the printer eeprom) and you don't see ink levels

In a CISS you see ink Levels easily if you look at the CISS

kerman said:
Since its said OEM cartridge are top quality to beat,
YES OEM Cartridges are top quality to beat and the best for refilling

kerman said:
would be wise to take empty oems, switch their chips with AutoReset ones, and plug and use them on the printer to work with the CIS?
NO you cannot, CISS Cartridges are shorter then OEM Carts (at least by 1 cm), this is to allow space for the silicone tubing to fit on top of the cartridge it self

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SpideRMaN, you said about the refilling german method to have the problem of void warranty. By Rihac specifications, their system seems to be designed to work with oem chips, so disabling ink monitor is necessary, and they advert about the void warranty too.

I've written twice for MP990 support but no reply, maybe his server is down sometimes.

SpideRMaN

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
rihac are on xmas holidays now . .

sorry I did not fully understood your other questions :(

BTW Chip resetters are for sale now so no problem resetting the chip

kerman

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
SpideRMaN said:
It depends on how much you use the printer.

MP 980/990 wastes a LOT of ink in print head cleanings and to add things up the cartridges are very small cli-8ml/pgi-19ml.
Canon heads and ciss don't go much too good together but if you print a lot then a ciss is a way to go.

I own an mp980 which is almost identical to the mp990. I don't print a lot but for me it's impossible to buy OEM cos of the ridiculous prices (80Euro/set) so atm I am refilling, I replaced original chips with ARChips and when I print I print mainly photo's and CD/DVD's but am fed up cos I have to refill very frequently every 3-4 days even so as I said I don't print a lot, so I ordered a ciss

you have to decide to refill or go ciss.

The german method is the best way to refill but for now you have to disable ink monitor which may void your warranty because it is permanently stored in the eeprom, a chip resetter will be available very soon http://www.3ppp3.de/resetter/resetter.html which will solve the ink monitor problem (thanks to pharmacist for the link)

If you go for a ciss then I suggest you buy a rihac one cos they have very good customer support and their ciss are build with very good materials. I did a lot of research and ordered one from them (waiting for it in the post) . . Please note that I am a paying customer to rihac and have nothing to do with them and/or their company
Sorry, I meant rihac ciss needs oem chips, so disable ink monitor is required for it to work too; that's said on their site. They specify "oem chips".