Additional refill techniques for Canon BCI-6 carts

rehardwick

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks to all for your suggestions. Presently I am trying a clear vinyl pressure sensitive tape that is pulled slideways, to make a good seal. I will see if the tape creeps away as time goes on.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The aluminum tape can be purchased from your local hardware store. The HVAC people use them to seal the air duct in your house. Sometime, I can even find them in dollar store for $1/roll.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I love the stuff (not to be confused with duct tape) and am very impressed with how well it seals all kinds of things that have contours or crevices.

mrelmo

Print Addict
Reaction score
in regards to turbguy and the storage clips from inkjet saver, i have been a big fan of those storage clips, however recently i have noticed that there is an excessive amont of pressure placed on the 2 tabs at the front of the ink tanks and they are starting to bend down toward the exit port. it appears that the silicone pad is a bit too thick, my thoughts are to find a way to reduce the thickness of the pads (which maybe near impossible) or to find a different style storage clip, i feel that the front tabs on the cartridges may eventually break off or the just won't seat properly in the print head

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
nifty-stuff.com said:
I love the stuff (not to be confused with duct tape) and am very impressed with how well it seals all kinds of things that have contours or crevices.
I am not talking about duct tape. I am talking about the aluminum tape which can be purchased from home improvement store. It is like the aluminum foil that we use for cooking. But the aluminum tape has a sticky side and is only 2" wide.

avolanche

Print Addict
Reaction score
embguy,
I get Nashua brand tape at Home Depot.I think we are speaking of the same type.It's a dead soft aluminum tape (may be Nashua #322).There are several of these types around.One has a strong adhesive that is white and leaves no residue(the adhesive is very thin).The others have a thick,tar-based adhesive and are not good for our uses with refilling.

They are still considered duct tape(but are a dense,heavy aluminum backing,not cloth based.Thus the conform very well when "burnished" to place.It's my favorite tape(multi-use).Not cheap,but worth it.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Yup, I use the stuff with the white paper backing and the very thin adhesive. Only "problem" is that it is so soft and tears relatively easily.

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
I'm using the orange caps that came with the OEM Canon cartridges and fixing it to the cartridge with a rubberband.

The rubberbands do become brittle over time and will break. Fortunately I have not had any ink spill disasters. To safeguard, I keep the carts in plastic baggies just in case there is a leak. Always looking for improvements on the process.

Do you find the foil tape (eg Nashua) to be better? How so?