About to buy a Brother MFC790CW

Beaver07

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Please comment on matters concerning the Brother MFC790CW All In One. What problems, if any, should I expect?

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
First I don't have this printer so I can't comment on it directly.

I have the brother 465cn printer and I love it. I think it is a really good printer for the price and what you get. I been comparing your printer versus my printer and to me I don't think the MFC790CW is worth it.

Really the only big difference I see is that you get wireless networking capabilities and a phone. Otherwise I really don't see too much difference like the print speeds(2-3 page difference in speed), auto feed on the one your looking at 15 verus 10 pages the only thing I see is memory, where the one your looking at is 48 vs 32. Though I am not sure how useful that extra memory I guess it depends on how many things you want to print and how big the files are.

Like I said I just don't see the price justification. The MFC790CW goes for like $208CDN verus the $60CDN I paid for mine. I guess it boils down to how badly you need that phone and wireless capabilities. I can see the ink is cheaper though so I guess that is a plus but I really don't care I buy 3rd party cartridges for about $4CDN/cart.

So far I have not had any problems with them just as good as what brother has to offer. That's another nice thing about my brother printer is that it accepts 3rd party cartridges with no fuss(ie don't have to use a chip re setter or anything like that). The printer your looking at is probably the same.

What is also very nice is with my brother printer they gave a full set of all the colors + black. Most companies only give half carts. Kinda funny the ink they gave with it costs more then the printer to buy.

If I where you I would look at the printer I have and if that does not fit the bill check out the mfc-490CW since it seems to have the same specs minus the phone but it also costs anywhere from $50-100 less then the printer your looking at.

http://www.brother.ca/en/products/comparison.asp

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
The only "problem" might be the lack of of photoblack, as the standard black cartridge is only used for text printing and "black" on photo paper is constitued by mixing C/M/Y, making the "black" not so black as it should be in 5-cartridge printers as with the Canon printers with at least 5 cartridges.

Great Advantage: Brother cartridges are not protected by any chips, so refilling or using alternative cartridges is possible without any restrictions.

chobo2

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
pharmacist said:
The only "problem" might be the lack of of photoblack, as the standard black cartridge is only used for text printing and "black" on photo paper is constitued by mixing C/M/Y, making the "black" not so black as it should be in 5-cartridge printers as with the Canon printers with at least 5 cartridges.

Great Advantage: Brother cartridges are not protected by any chips, so refilling or using alternative cartridges is possible without any restrictions.
I have not printed many pictures out with my brother 465cn but they look pretty dam good and I am using 3rd party in. Of course if your doing tons of printing of pictures and want super good quality then of course your probably better off getting a printer with photoblack.

Otherwise the pictures I printed out turned out pretty good and imo looks just as good if I would have brought it too a place to get them developed.