A3 Borderless Printers - Advice

Big G

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
I recently purchased an HP DeskJet 9800 for A3 borderless printing - it will be used mainly for borderless marketing materials and letterheads and perhaps the odd photo too, probably running off a couple of copies a day.

I have since returned the 9800 as the borderless printing on it was extremely poor; trying to print from Word or InDesign resulted in white borders on two of the edges. I'm now looking at the Canon iP4000 or the Epson Stylus R1800.

A couple of questions...

1) How do each of these machines handle the borderless printing? The 9800 used an overspray method so the bleed couldn't really be controlled, although the overspray could be set through the driver from Automatic to Minimum with about 5 steps in between.

2) What are the issues of running inkjet printed letterheads through a laser printer for letters?

3) Any recommendations for other machines?

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I don't know about the other printers but the Canon iP4000 can only do A4 size paper. Its maximum page width is 8.5 inches. If you want A3, you should get a Canon i9900 which can handle up to 13x23. They are still available at some CompUSA stores for $450 and you may be able to find one in a Staples store for a lot less.
The i9900 does borderless printing with no problem.