A valuable lesson to be learned..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I had a problem with my little i865 just before the festive season began with poor black text output.

Simply because I hadn’t used it for the past 10 weeks so I did the usual procedure of a head clean, changing the large cartridge and then a black deep head clean which didn’t solve my problem. :confused:

Now I have never had a clog in this printer before so I was surprised by it's sudden departure of reliability, then I taught maybe it was the first cold weather snap that might have cause it. :hu

With the nozzle check getting worse despite the cleaning I left the head to soak for two days, meanwhile I used an older head that I had and it printed much the same, perfect colour, very poor black ! (50%) :eek:

I tested the purge unit and I could see the Window cleaner draining from both pads slowly and then tested it with no print head or cartridges in and again I could see / hear the flood of window cleaner on the pads been sucked dry.

When I tried another nozzle check there was no black at all this time, so I put the proper print head back in and got exactly the same nozzle results, so I had no alternative but to pull the darn purge unit apart.:oops:

But before doing this I attached a syringe with a very small needle onto the pump inlets first and then the tubing coming from the pads and just squirted some window cleaner into them both and reconnected the tubing once more.

I decided to try a nozzle print before I dismantled the purge unit any further and got a surprise with a perfect nozzle check and test print, so I was back in business once more. (Time to wash my hands):D

These printers cease to amaze me, because I could well have gotten a new print head had I not investigated the purge unit that little bit further or even dumped the printer altogether. :mad:

It goes to show you that you should never give up on them to early, it was the first bit of cleaning that this purge unit got in over ten years beside the odd squirt of window cleaner to flood the pad twice yearly.

P.S. Please note I need to do a bit more cleaning in and around the purge units on all my printer far more often.. :thumbsup