A few questions about refilling Canon MP620

ladybiker711

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You may recall that I recently refilled my pigment ink with dye....well I now have pigment ink and managed to refill tank with that.
I have had a problem with it clogging which I've mangaged to fix somewhat with a cleaning. Anyway it seems to be getting better.
My question is this....
I did find the purge pads (yea me) and they appear to be working ok. I am wondering though...right in front of the pads is a small plastic appearing tab. I am not sure what this is or what purpose it serves. My concern is that it is spattered with black ink along with a small area around it. Will that do any harm? Should it be taken out and cleaned?
Also....I do most of my printing in greyscale. Will my heads be more prone to clogging by doing that or does it make any difference at all?
One last thing. I cannot find a setting on the printer for black and white only. I would like to be able to print just using the pigment instead of my colors, but cannot figure it out.
Thanks for the help!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Ladybiker..
Firstly dont worry about the plastic tab its meant to be there and have some ink on it. If you only print in black then the setting is grayscale (Black & White) for photos but if youre just using text dont bother with the colour settings the printer will do it for you. Hope this helps.. ;)

ladybiker711

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
It did help....(of course by the time I read this, I had already cleaned the little tab as good as I could with an alcohol pad) :D
I need to develop patience!

leo8088

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
I think it is the plastic flexible wiper of the purge unit. It wipes the print head from time to time to clean the print head.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Pigment ink is only used on plain paper but you can get some good black and white images by specifying greyscale and using the High print quality. At least that's how it works on older printers. You can learn more here.