A BCI-6 cartridge opened up

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Regarding the sponge on the outlet port: When I dissected one of my BCI-6 carts about 5 years ago I remember thinking that the tiny round sponge reminded me of the "filter" on cigarettes. Mind you, I don't smoke, so I don't have first hand experience, but that's what happened to jump to my mind at the time.

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
yuckyuck.gif

emerald

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
paulcroft, Post #1 and mikling, Post #4:

This is an excellent post. Thanks for your outstanding photos that explain a lot about the BCI-6 ink cartridge. It illustrates the pros and cons cited by mikling of the German refill method. I linked an earlier post I made to these illustrations.

paulcroft

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro-100
Emerald

Thanks for the thanks. I enjoyed doing it and finding out what goes on inside the cartridge. It's also led to a wealth of other info in threads that, without the links given, could have taken a long time to find.

Paul

Parhs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I opened once an EPSON cartridge and it was the most complicated thing i ever seen/

kpmartin

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
That mystery prong over the ink tank might be to control filling at the factory. Looking through the prong from the outside, the optical characteristics would change suddenly when the rising ink level touches the prong.

It's just a theory though... I just looked at a new Canon ink cartridge and it is filled higher than the prong. Besides, one would expect that the filling equipment at the factory would be capable of metering out the correct amount of ink without needing a sensor in the tank.