A basic guide (see post #1) to setting up ARGYLL CMS profiling on your computer

3dogs

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson 3880. Canon Pro 9000,
Ok! now I am on a pargraph, somewherenear the page you are on.......I'm a tad slow working through my paradigms :he The 9000 is waiting for me to refill so I will let you know how I go.

Note for THE HAT....you just keep a close watch on me, I am counting on you, If you get even a hint that this stealthy, but persistent brainwashing is having an effect, If I even HINT that I'm looking at APGYLL profiling :caf, I hereby AUTHORISE you to take drastic action to stop me in my tracks :duc:fl...........:lol:

Cheers,

Andrew

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Having fought my way through this thread over the past 2+ hours I am immensely grateful for all the information, experiences and hair-tearing that's been shared.

I do however have a couple of suggestions that might make things a little easier to understand...

1. Would it be possible to get a list of the different software being used/discussed for things like profile checking, comparison, target generation, etc... and links to same (or a note if no longer available).

2. There's a lot of acronym usage going on but I struggled to figure out what some of them were for so a glossary would be really useful. Even reading through all 21 pages of posts I've struggled to identify some of the stuff being discussed.

Thanks again... I now need to lie down in a darkened room and pray I won't consider what pantone reference of black it is!!

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
You have only looked at the easy bit.:)

Post #1 is designed to get you on the road without too much comprehension. It takes about three months research to start to understand what is going on!

But you will find that just typing the magic words (like Argyll CMS, targen, printtarg, Gamutvision etc.) into Google, will bring up the answers. Once you have Argyll 1.6.3 installed, you can type for example targen ? and printtarg ? to get all the suffix detail showing how you select the I1 or CM sensor etc. etc. etc.........................

There is an enormous amount of detail in Argyll, way beyond our needs, but you will gradually appreciate it's capability as you come to use it. I find I enjoy discovering each new aspect and the profiling results are very rewarding once you start to understand and control what you are doing.

Last edited:

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
Time to reset my rank to "lowly student" I reckon... Thanks Emulator, I shall persevere... :)

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@Emulator, @The Hat, I got a lot read error alerts saying I read R instead of B, Too many patches, not enough paches... Is it going to be better if I enlarge the .tiff target files? Let's say divide 'CAP480.txt' into 2 or 4 pages of A4? If yes, how can I modify the file 'CAP480.txt' at the front page to get it divided?

Though I got successful scans 2 times after many tries, these profiles had issue - one didn't have clean white, the other turned white bg to light green! Is there a way to correct those .icm files or we will need to run the read again?

Attachments

• errors-2-times.jpg
    errors-2-times.jpg
    433.6 KB · Views: 385
Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator, @The Hat, I got a lot read error alerts saying I read R instead of B, Too many patches, not enough paches... Is it going to be better if I enlarge the .tiff target files? Let's say divide 'CAP480.txt' into 2 or 4 pages of A4? If yes, how can I modify the file 'CAP480.txt' at the front page to get it divided?

Though I got successful scans 2 times after many tries, these profiles had issue - one didn't have clean white, the other turned white bg to light green! Is there a way to correct those .icm files or we will need to run the read again?

You appear to be getting read errors and unless you can repeat a line read without errors, you will have to correct your reading technique and start again. If the profile has issues then you probably have uncorrected reading errors.

The software compares your measured results with its stored value for each patch in each strip. You must ensure you are starting each strip on paper "white" and finishing on "white" , be careful not to overrun onto the lettering at the top. Leave a pause at the start after pressing the button. Slow your reading speed.

Make sure the CM can see only the intended patch, not the edges of the adjacent patches.

Until you perfect patch reading to a level where errors are not occurring, or only rarely, you will be unsuccessful in creating a satisfactory profile. Have you built yourself a patch reading guide? Are you expanding the tiff patch image using Photoshop, to fully use the A4 sheet size?

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3

Sorry @sampheap I can’t not help you with problems regarding your scanning errors, I am completely ignorant when it comes to creating profiles with these gadgets, because I have always tried to avoid using them out of choice. o_O

sampheap

Fan of Printing
Reaction score
@Emulator, Yes, I got the ruler guide (.pdf file) made from @pharmacist.
My first read was disaster as my ruler cut was wider showing the edges of adjacent patches. Anyway, I could see it here that showing the adjacent patches seemed ok: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/32856332
My second read was not bad as I expanded the patches to a bit wider than my open space of the ruler guide.
Though I got successful after re-read each row many times, both profiles are problematic as you can see in the picture above. Can we enhance the .icm profile beside re-read?

CAP480.txt was devised by @pharmacist, is there a way to divide the patches (maybe 4 patches), so it will be big for shaky hands?

@The Hat, yes it's my first time going this path; and I don't know if I can go that far or old-school eyeballing will be in place again ;)

Last edited:

Emulator

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro9000 II
@Emulator, Yes, I got the ruler guide (.pdf file) made from @pharmacist.
My first read was disaster as my ruler cut was wider showing the edges of adjacent patches. Anyway, I could see it here that showing the adjacent patches seemed ok: http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/32856332
My second read was not bad as I expanded the patches to a bit wider than my open space of the ruler guide.
Though I got successful after re-read each row many times, both profiles are problematic as you can see in the picture above. Can we enhance the .icm profile beside re-read?

CAP480.txt was devised by @pharmacist, is there a way to divide the patches (maybe 4 patches), so it will be big for shaky hands?

@The Hat, yes it's my first time going this path; and I don't know if I can go that far or old-school eyeballing will be in place again ;)

Take a look at the reply at:http://www.dpreview.com/forums/post/32858697

You need to make a better guide, that properly masks the sides of the patches and accurately positions the ColorMunki body! See post#166 and earlier for more information.

With this guide I can successfully read CAP957 patches on a single A4 sheet. See post #189

Last edited: