7250 or 4950?

Petev

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
As some may have seen in the thread 'PGBK dead after B200 error' I have two choices facing me - buy a replacement print head for my ip4950 and hope that solves the problem OR buy a new ip7250 printer. My 4950 is just over two years old and probably has plenty of life left in the waste pads. I also like the rear open paper feed - easy to change sizes, particularly when printing Christmas cards or similar, and I'm concerned that the tray feed system will prove problematical in those situations.

So does anyone have experience with a 7250, particularly if it replaced a 4950 or similar model? The Wi-fi capability is of no real interest to me, it's just the paper handling. Either solution will cost about the same, although of course if the 4950 fault is not the print head then I've wasted £60 or thereabouts - ouch!

Cheers,

Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
The iP7250 is a bit of a joke for anyone that uses a printer, it will rob you blind.. :eek:

Petev

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
Yes, 'The Hat', I saw your other comment on the forum. But I've been very happy using second source inks from Prestige Cartridge - 2 years without any problems on my 4950 (until now - and I don't blame the ink), good colour matching and very economical. So really the opinions I'm after are the practicality of the paper feed arrangement. As I said earlier I like the rear open feeder on the 4950. If I could be sure a new print head would restore the machine to full function, that's the way I'd be going. I don't do masses of printing - a set of inks lasts me several months.

Cheers,

Peter.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You’re going to have to take that leap of faith that all others have done when their print head goes belly up and get a new head, I have replaced quite a few heads and not once did I have a problem with the printer afterwards, everything was back to 100% normal.

Using aftermarket cartridges is a great way of saving money when you don’t want to indulge in refilling yourself but only as long as you are not tempted to refilled them once they have become empty..

Petev

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
Hi, 'the Hat', thanks again for responding. Yes, after reading a number of user reviews of the 7250, some of which were far from happy with the tray paper feed system, for example one said it could not handle A4 size photo paper (!), I am indeed going to take that leap of faith. Hopefully I'll have the replacement head next week. And will let you know the outcome.

I've a sinking feeling that I contributed to the demise of the existing head - the PGBK ink had been reporting empty for some time, and although it was still printing ok, well.... Anyway in future I'll replace it once it shows as empty (NOT when it is reported as 'replace soon'!) After all a full set of inks from Prestige is only a few £s.

But if the new head doesn't do the trick, then I have a search on my hands. It appears that most if not all new machines have enclosed paper feeders. Even my 4950 has a feed tray underneath, but I don't use it - using the rear feed I can see how much plain paper is left, and can change to an envelope or photo paper of various sizes very quickly, never mind the four different sizes and shapes of Christmas cards we sent this year ;-)

Cheers, and a Happy New Year

Peter.

Petev

Printing Apprentice
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon ip4950
Well, I bought a new print head which arrived today. And all is now working correctly. Phew! Almost as much as a new printer, but I get to keep my iP4950 with its rear paper feed and CD print tray. Thanks for the advice, folks, particularly 'The Hat'.