60 gsm paper with a Canon printer

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma iP7250 and MG5350,
Hallo you lovely people, and I hope you are all managing during these strange times.

I've written a five hundred page story and printed it out in book form. However, using 80 gsm paper makes it bulky and I was wondering about using 60 gsm.
With four paperback sized pages on each sheet, it amounts to about 130 sheets for the printer. Could I print those out with 60 gsm paper on my MG 5350?

Many thanks, and keep safe and well.

John W

palombian

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO10,PRO9500II,MB5150,MG8250
Hallo you lovely people, and I hope you are all managing during these strange times.

I've written a five hundred page story and printed it out in book form. However, using 80 gsm paper makes it bulky and I was wondering about using 60 gsm.
With four paperback sized pages on each sheet, it amounts to about 130 sheets for the printer. Could I print those out with 60 gsm paper on my MG 5350?

Many thanks, and keep safe and well.

John W

Do you calculate single side ?
A good quality 80 gsm paper can be printed double side and you will gain that way.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Using anything lighter than 80gm will increase the cost considerably and the show through may also make it unreadable.. not to mention paper jams and double feeding..

Xerox do a 75gm..:hu

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks for this, Hat - that was rather what I suspected. I'll go for the 75 gsm.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
According to the specifications the MG5350 can handle plain paper from 64 gsm to 105 gsm and special Canon media up to 300 gsm.

Years ago I had given an HP PSC 750 to a colleague. It had worked well for months, but one day my collegeague asked me to look at the printer. It had begun to make frequent paper jams and the ink smeared on the paper. This made me suspicious of the paper used and the cause of the problems was the paper. It was a thin paper intended for use in typewriters. My colleague's wife had got it for free from her work, but it was totally unsuitable for inkjet printers. With normal 80 gsm inkjet/copier paper the HP was OK again.

Last edited:

John Wallace

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Thanks, Peter - I will be suitably cautious!

John W
Just to follow this thread up for those who may be interested.

I purchased a pack of 70 sheets of 70 gsm. It's marketed by the Design Group and is made in China (where else!).
It's called bright white and has a nice feel and finish. It is expensive, but the post was cheap with only 70 sheets.
My MG 5350 handled it well, double-sided - no hiccups at all and, no, the other side did not bleed through. I'm pleased with the result, it's perfectly readable, and has kept the bulk of the book down to a reasonable thickness.

Hope that is useful.

Keep safe and well.

John W