5 orange flashes error canon ip4000

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I am getting 5 oranges flashes from my printer. The manual says its a print head problem. I have tried turning it on and off. I have removed and reseated the printhead. I have cleaned the contacts on the printhead and I still have the problem. I recently refilled my cartridges, maybe 5-6 days ago. I printed one test page and it printed fine. Yesterday I noticed the flashing. We did have a bad storm yesterday, could it have gotten fried somehow? I can seem to enter the service mode either. Is there anyway to fix this error?

Thanks!

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Did you reset the chip on the cartridges that you refilled a few days ago?
Is there any cartridge with flashing red light?

on30trainman

Printer Guru
Reaction score
embguy said:
Did you reset the chip on the cartridges that you refilled a few days ago?
Is there any cartridge with flashing red light?
Cartridge resetting is not the problem - ip4000 doesn't use chipped cartridges.
If reseating the printhead doesn't fix the problem maybe the storm did do some damage. But 5 Orange flashes is a specific printhead errror message.

Steve W.

embguy

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Sorry, my bad... I thought all iP series use chip.

Ron350

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
-
Bird333 did you try to go into service mode with the ink and head removed from the printer?

Remember to unplug the printer when the print head comes to the center after opening the lid.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I didn't try it with the printhead out. I'll try that. It could just be that I need a new print head. I don't print a lot but maybe so.

Bird333

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was able to get into the service menu without the cartridge, but it didn't help.

Manuchau

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Ask your friends if any of them has any of the following printers : All of them use the qy6-0049 printhead, and it would be good to test a used printhead before buying a new one.
# i860
# iP4000
# iP4100
# MP750
# MP760
# MP780 Good Luck!!

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
Beware that some types of damage in a printer can burn out another print head when you put it in the printer. If this is the case with your printer, you may end up buying a new print head for your friends.

And the more sinister problem is that some types of print head damage can also burn out a printer. So consider what may happen if you get another print head (new or borrowed) and you put it in your defective printer and the printer exhibits the same fault condition but it also burns out this print head. How will you know that the print head is also defective until you put it in your friend's printer which also gets burned out?

It's risky to swap suspicious print heads between printers. I wouldn't do it except with my own printers that I am willing to risk damaging. I would advise taking the no-risk procedure which is to take your printer with its print head to an authorized Canon repair shop and explain the situation and see if they will fix it for you. Many Canon repair shops will charge the same or less price for a new print head than what you can get it for other places but they probably will also charge for labor so it may end up costing more but at least you won't have the embarrassment of damaging your friend's print head and/or printer. Just make sure ahead of time that the repair shop will guarantee to return a working printer to you or not charge you.