3D LED sign..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I started off by making the lettering that I needed and made them hollow (outlined)

See here.. STL files The lettering, the Top covers and electrical box..
bottom Sign.PNG Top of sign.PNG light box.PNG

The next step was to only use the very top of the lettering to fill in the top after printing. (1.5mm thick), I used pigment ink to colour the transparent filament and used the hotbed to help dry it.. I applied the ink with my fingers..

Then I needed a box on the back to install and support the LED lighting.

This is how it turned out, starting with transparent filament then changing to white for the upright wall of the lettering..
P1020367.jpg P1020368.jpg

Here is the back of the print before fitting the LED box. Note the transparent filament for the lettering..
P1020366.jpg

Here’s the light box with the bulbs held in with cable ties..
P1020369.jpg

I used ordinary wood glue to stick the whole thing together..

And This is it now working.. !
OPEN Light.jpg

Remarks:- The LED bulbs were a bit big and bright and the white base should have been thicker or made in a different colour, but overall this experiment was a success in that I now know it can be done and look much better with more care and attention to detail..

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
Fantastic experiment! Really great ideas and design!

Remarks:- The LED bulbs were a bit big and bright and the white base should have been thicker or made in a different colour, but overall this experiment was a success in that I now know it can be done and look much better with more care and attention to detail..
Great points! As you stated, this was an experiment. Plenty of opportunity to refine and perfect in the ways you suggested!

I've been wanting to do something similar, but using LED's like these:
https://amzn.to/4434eLn
... or ones with color built-in:
https://amzn.to/440H48j

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Great points! As you stated, this was an experiment. Plenty of opportunity to refine and perfect in the ways you suggested!
My idea was to use what I had on hand and not buy anything new, just to see how it would work out, if I decide to do it again I will be sure to get the proper lighting..
I've been wanting to do something similar, but using LED's like these:
The colour LED’s are a good idea all right..:)

Nifty

Printer VIP
Administrator
Reaction score
Printer Model
CR-10, i560 ,MFC-7440N
I wonder what would happen if you masked-off the letters and used black spray-paint to cover the print?

Another idea: Use the exact same design, but print a 2mm layer in black with the letters as "holes" and slip it over the top?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Another idea: Use the exact same design, but print a 2mm layer in black with the letters as "holes" and slip it over the top?
H’m that might work but the enlargement would have to be very precise.. :hide

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
An easier way to make up a coloured LED sign is to dispense with the lettering frames and just use the tops which would keep the lettering almost flush with the base, it certainly would be faster and look just as good..
Capture 1.PNG
No need for the lettering to be raised as in this Pic.
Capture2.PNG
Just use the top of the lettering and paste them over the cutouts..
Capture3.PNG
As in this Pic.. Just make the base colour black..

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I decided to try the sign again but this time use a black background and the tops of the lettering, that worked better but my lights behind are now to bright, but at least I know it can be done with the proper preparations and better lighting, like fairy lights..
light off..

Untitled-3.jpg

light on..
Untitled-2.jpg

the more I handled the letters the more the colour came off on my fingers..

chaos_engineer

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Anycubic Photon Mono 4k
Epic experiment. If you decide to try this again later, You could use translucent vinyl to cover them. Same colored effect, and less ink rubbing off. You can also shoot them with an acrylic poly clearcoat to lock in the ink as well.