2 year old OCP ink or just stick with hobbicolors

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
getting low on my PGI5 BK ink. for nearly 4 years i have had great success with hobbicolors ink, over 300 refills. in 12/2010 i did pick up 16oz of OCP PGI5-BK ink.

now i'm wondering if it makes sense to bother using the nearly 2 year old OCP ink or just stick with hobbicolors

tough to throw out 16oz of ink, but to avoid headaches might be worth it.

any thoughts ?

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors ink, PMT-BK, UW8
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
I have observed that the OCP ink is noticeably not as dark as practically all other pigment black inks. However, it faired one of the best of all the inks I tested with regard to clogging in the ink absorber pads. However, if you do start using the OCP ink and your printers start clogging in the purge unit, will you blame the OCP ink or the Hobbicolors ink?

I will be repeating the ink absorbency test once I get a fresh supply of the ink from Hobbicolors.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
jimbo123 said:
getting low on my PGI5 BK ink. for nearly 4 years i have had great success with hobbicolors ink, over 300 refills. in 12/2010 i did pick up 16oz of OCP PGI5-BK ink.

now i'm wondering if it makes sense to bother using the nearly 2 year old OCP ink or just stick with hobbicolors

tough to throw out 16oz of ink, but to avoid headaches might be worth it.

any thoughts ?

J
If you have kept the ink unopened then it will still be good to use for sure no problems.

I have recently resurrected a ten year old full bottle of pigment ink from ACSI Bulk Inks and its working away
in a PGI-5 cart with no clogs so far, its now onto its second refill and going strong (Its not my printer thats actually using it). :rolleyes: