1pl droplet size and ink types for Canon?

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I was looking yesterday at a printer catalog from a local store in search for the last remaining MP520 from Canon (there were non left) and I noticed something.
The MP520 uses 2pl. size ink droplets, the new MP540 (with CLI-521) uses 1pl. size. Does the ink type reflect the droplet size? The MP610 which also uses CLI-8 is 1pl. according to Canon web-site, so does this mean that I can use the same ink that I use for CLI-8 in CLI-521?

So my perception that the CLI-521 is very different from CLI-8's ink is wrong?
Does the ink matter in this picoliter size or it's just all in the printer head. Cause that is what stops me from buying Pixma MP540 - there are no inks available for it in my area but it is full with CLI-8 compatibles (I'm afraid not to clog these smaller 1pl. size nozzles).

And one more thing. I will mostly print on plain A4 paper and sometimes photos. Is there any noticeable difference between 4800x1200 resolution and 9600x2400?

10x! Hope someone can answer.

yupkime

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Good question!
I am wondering too whether it is ok to use an "upgraded" ink for a next generation printer on the past generation printer.

Downgrading probably not good but upgrading ok?
Specifically Canon printers? 2pl and 1pl inks ....

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
The increased resolution is used only to produce more shades of color. It does not give you more detail in your printouts. So if you are comparing printouts between the two printers or if you are examining the printout from just one of the printers, pay attention to the colors. If you are satisfied with the color production, then there is no need to go to the higher resolution.

Blueiced

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And has anyone tried using ChromaLife 100 inks in printers that use ChromaLife 100+?
A.k.a cli-8 inks in cli-521 tanks?