1pl 5 ink vs 2 pl 6 ink Canon only

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Emmmh...
i want to ask 2 thing....
1. which one was better 1pl 5 ink ( ip5000 ) or 2pl 6 ink ( ip6000 )
2. i want to buy a new printer and i decided this time was canon ( again )...
one thing that i ask is did ip 1500 or ip 2000 is really2 grainfree... ( compare it with hp at photoret mode 600 dpi ) ??? just that n thanks

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
To Endnukbud:

I own both 1pl and 2pl. I would buy the ip5000, even if it cost more money.

First I find the prints to be better quality. Second, if you are going to use Canon ink, the ip5000 uses about 50% or more less ink, that will amount to a huge saving.

Robert

BlasterQ

Printer Guru
Reaction score
it's really a coin toss. the IP5000 is faster, have finer dots (1 picoliter), and is also excellent in text printing.
however, the IP6000D, while having bigger dots (2 picoliter) and slower, is designed more with photo printing in mind, it doesn't have the bci-3e bk ink for text printing, however, it has a photo cyan and photo magenta, giving you more vivid colors for photo printing.
if you ask me though, since i print more photos and only occasional text, i'd go for the IP6000D. if on the other hand you are looking for a good all around printer, then the IP5000 is a good choice.

RC

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The ip5000 is not like any of the other 4-color printers of Canon. It is by far the best and its color profiles are also the best.

One of the advantages of the ip5000 is that is you are going to use non OEM ink you will find it easier to match, that is not the case with the others.

Another advantage is that the ip5000 does a superb job on other paper types, even good quality plain paper.

A word of warning, if you buy any Canon printer, buy the 5-year extended warranty, it is worth it.

I purchased my by FRYs Electronics, and they have exchanged my printer 5 times for e new one. This is not because the printer is not good, it is because of my experimenting with some crappie ink. I got my exchange on the spot with brand new ink cartridges. If they have to send the printer out for service, they will give you a comparable loaner, but if they have the printer in stock, they will give you a new one. Printheads for Canons are very expensive.

Finally, I think the color profiles for the ip5000 are the best yet for Canon ink, the only ones I have not tried are the 8-color printers, so I cannot comment on them.

Robert

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thanks for the post and i have somethin to add
so.......how bout the clogs issue.....isn't it 1 pl size nozzle is more risky than the other...
and once more canon said that their 1 pl ink nozzle is just the same as 7 ink technology in 2 pl perception ???

Grandad35

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i9900 (plus 5 spares)
From the little documentation that I can find, PM and PC were introduced to reduce the "grain" in these colors by allowing the printer to lay down twice as many light dots of ink as would have been used if only full strength magenta and cyan were available. If this is the case, small dots (1 pl) of magenta and cyan would function as well as large dots (2 pl) of PM and PC.

I have a suspicion that the real situation may be more complicated than this, and that the eye's response to the low levels of magenta and cyan required to print very light colors might be non-linear and very dependent on the paper, and that the PM and PC could provide a much more controllable result in the light colors. This is similar to the recommendations of most professionals that you always keep your images a few percent away from "pure white" in to improve the appearance of light colors in your finished prints by eliminating the difficult transition from "no color" to "just perceptable color".

Is there anyone out there who has actual knowledge on this subject?

Endmukbud

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
yes...i think i'm agree with you.....about the color perception of human eyes...

Regarding to this

i found something really....really...funny...today...
About how photoret in HP could print really ( at least ) nature colour...
today i'm comparing between old HP 3325 which produce 1200 x 600 dpi in PhotoRet 3 and XNU i255 in 4800 x 1200 dpi first.
As you know the HP was 4pl and it was 25$ here.... and the XNU was 50$ and 5 pl
When i print a photo in a same 4"x 6" glossy paper...
The 3325 result more natural and grainless picture better than the XNU...
even as we know the PhotoRet were produced in 600 x 600 dpi resolution
And the XNU was at the highest resolution.....which is 4800 dpi...
but it did decepoint me.....

did this fenomena was regarding to color perception of human eyes...and how the
printer raster engine works.... ?

Coz to me it really didn't make any sense how 25$ 600 dpi ( photoret mode, not photo catridge )printer could beat the 50$ 4800 dpi printer ?

And one thing also that as " know " those dye sublimation printer was only at 300 dpi and 4 colour only but why these...printer produce better or at least the same result than that 6 color 4800 dpi printer....?

So it mean the raster engine...and printing methode was the 1st factor in a printer...
I want to upload the result picture here but i dunno how the way?