1990: Epson was the Leader of Photo for Pros. Now who else ?

bestofcomputer

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
In 1990, Epson was the Leader in Photo Printing for Professionals.
Only their high resolution inkjet printers could approach Photo Quality.
But now Canon has improved a lot with their new Prixma, even if they are not real Inkjet Printers, but Bubble Printers, which had let them in the past as a poor outsider...
And the others have also good new features.
But I remember HP saying that : "more than 600 DPI was just marketing stuff !...".
Indead, HP has always refused to increase their output more than 600 DPI !
But is it still the case now ? What is their actual DPI ?
Anyway, could anyone serious consider HP printers for Photo for Pro ?...
If yes, then which Models ?
And then, what about Canon : which models for Photo for Pro ?
Still, Epson is the King, dont you think ?
So, which best Model from epson for Photo for Pros :
- 5770 DPI : is it real or interpollation ? But what do you mean by interpollation, because a printer use hardware to print, and in the other hand, a scanner use memory and software, to mathematically interpollate. So, I understand interpollation in scanners, but I do really not understand what it is standing for in a printer ! Could you clear this point to me ? So, if it is interpollation, what is the real DPI of these Epson ?
- 8 separate ink cartridges hexachromes. (what to think about their Durabrite, for Photo : I think it is too pale and mate, dont you ?)
- A4 without borders.
- I am not interested by memory card readers, or pictbridge, or LCD screens...
And what about other type of printers : which ones would be also best for Photo Pro :
- Colour Lazer ? Which ones ?
- Sublimation ? Which ones ?
- Others ? Which ones ?
And what do you think of the multifunctions ?
Have they improved ?
Would you accept them for Photo Pro ?
And then, which ones, from epson, or Canon, or else ?
And also, which one combines a best Photo Printer as well as a best Scanner for Pro use ?
Thanks.
Frederic Laroche.

alexandereci

Printing Ninja
Reaction score
Hello. Yes, I agree that Epson was the leader back then... you'd rarely see the average user with anything else since that was what stores usually would serve.

However, today, the local census (in my area) is price, so I've seen a lot of Canon Pixma and HP 3720/3740 fly off the shelves - I cannot vouch for their quality though.

Personally, I stay away from the "disposable" types of printers, which I suspect the dirt cheap HP 3720/3740 is (the difference between the two being only the print speed - you can't tell one from the other aside from the colored covers), I'm actually saving up for a good mid-range printer, but like you, I'm confused whether to get HP or Canon. I've heard a lot of problems with Epson printers and printheads locally, so I'm staying away from Epson now.