16 bit print on Pixma Pro 100

j.saenz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
Hello,

Is it possible to print a tiff file in 16 bit with ProFoto color space on the Pixma Pro 100?

I am running Yosemite (Mac), printing from LR5 using Print Studio Pro.

Also, when using art paper and a border is forced how can I view the actual image with border before print?

thank you for your time!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@j.saenz Printing a photo in 16 bit will turn out exactly the same as with an 8 bit colour would so despite what they say, you can’t see any difference at all.

You are the first to bring up that unusual question with the forced borders, you know the size of your paper and you know the size of these darn borders, so why not recreate a separate new layout of your photo with the canvas size set to your paper size and your photo size reduced to accommodate the all round 30 mm border.

You can always change the Media setting to fool the printer and eliminate the forced border all together, that can take a bit of practice to get the print to look right with the new settings !

j.saenz

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Pixma Pro-100
@The Hat

I do not mind the borders at all. The largest prints I've made have been 11 x 8.5, I'm looking forward to printing larger formats. I made some prints on Moab Somerset Museum Rag and one of the image was cropped inside of the border because I was messing around with the border size. I think I found where to click to where I can see the image within the borders. That way I can be sure what it will look like when it prints.

I was looking for the XPS driver Mac OS but I did not find it, but if printing 8bit and 16bit gives you equal prints then the point is moot about wanting to print 16bit.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Hi, @j.saenz I am glad you like the borders because if you intend selling your prints that is the way that most people like their print to look and not borderless.

It’s hard to learn anything when you first get this great printer because it’s such a huge distraction that you tend to enjoy just printing out everything but eventually you’ll settle down and find out how to get the best out of your machine.
Happy Printing..

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
As the Hat said we can't see any difference between 8bit & 16bit but Canon say with the XPS driver & sending a 16bit file to the printer we can get slightly better graduations so I use 16 bit just in case there's a slight improvement.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
would you see a 'sllightly better graduation' with 16 bit data ?. I'm rather sceptical - you may be able to
print and measure finer differences but that would not change your perception. I recommend to read
this article about color nomenclature, tolreances, Delta E etc, and if not starting at the beginning but then from about page 14,

http://www.xrite.com/documents/literature/en/L10-001_Understand_Color_en.pdf

the eye is not able to recognize particular fine color/tone difference below a particular level as described with those ellipsoids in the working color space

rodbam

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pro 9000 mk2 & Pro 9500
One strange thing has happened as I was getting a banding with very slight lighter bands about 3/8" 10mm apart in solid black backgrounds only on Cotton matte fine art paper, it still printed fine on Luster paper though. The bands were hard to see & I didn't see them but my Daughter pointed them out & then I could see them. I was buggered about what to do & thought I can't use the fine art matte anymore for this type of shot & then I remembered I always used to use the XPS drivers & noticed they weren't there on my computer anymore. I then downloaded & installed them & now I get a choice in Photoshop of a Pro 9500 or a Pro 9500 XPS printer. Now I'm using the XPS printer there's no more banding in the black areas, now this isn't proof yet as I'm busy printing photos for my Daughters new shop & I don't want to change anything until I have finished her work in case I get the banding back.
When I've finished printing I will try a print in the non XPS mode & see if the banding comes back.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Interesting find @rodbam, it not east to hold a photo print where you can actually see the differences in 8 & 16 bit colour, :bow if so well done mate..