RIP IP4700 - You've lived a good life!

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
My recommendation is to go for the iP4300, if it is in good working order. The iP4300 uses same print head as the iP5200, which in my opinion is a very good printer. I have an iP5200 and am very satisfied with it.

These printers of the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation are a higher build quality than printers of the subsequent PGI-x20/CLI-x21 and PGI-25/CLI-x26 generations. The cartridges are larger and transparent, and resetters are available. The iP 4500 and iP4200 are also of the PGI-5/CLI-8 generation and are also worth considering.

By comparing service manuals it looks to me like the MG5220, which I think is similar to the MG5320 and the iP4700 are using the same principles in printhead carriage so I think the build quality for the MG5320 and iP4700 are similar.

If you liked the iP4700 and want a new printer that is easily refillable and for which a resetter is available, I think it is worth buying. The PGI-x25/CLI-x26 printers are being phased out, so better hurry if you want one.

The newest printers use the PGI-x50/CLI-x51 for which no resetters are available and the refill methods are still experimental. These new printers also come with reduced capacity starter cartridges. It also seems the rear feed paper tray is missing, so you will have to feed photo paper from the cassette, not a good idea in my opinion.

I do not claim this to be the absolute truth; it is my personal opinion based on experience with various printers and on what I have read.

Added: This thread by Smile clearly show the difference in build quality. The PGI-5/CLI-8 and older printers have the steel bar carriage rail, the newer printers have the bent sheet metal carriage rail.: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5609

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ,

Thank you for the detailed reply. It is very informative.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Tudor said:
The Hat said:
The answer to your question is no, the MG5320 is not a good replacement for your iP4700.
What would be a good replacement?

The Hat said:
I recently got a new iP7250 and its totally rubbish for an everyday printer, for occasion use its ok.
What exactly makes it rubbish?
Another 4700 would be the best replacement or any older models would be even better.

I gave the 7250 a rating of been rubbish because of its construction, especially the paper cassette.

The printer in my mind if use daily is designed to break apart, it wouldnt take much to snap off something while trying to load paper in the little stupid paper tray.

Monitoring the ink will take some getting used to also as the cartridges are not that easy to whip in/out to weigh them plus the print head is a nightmare to remove, but it does print brilliant. :)

dvdit Or a used IP4200, IP4500, IP4600 and IP6600D bought locally - I can get a used IP4300 and IP4500 for $50 used now
I would get both the 4300 and 4500 or all of them even if you dont use them right away,
you can keep them till you need them, a pretty good bargain at $50 a piece.

Please don't be tempted to use compatible cartridges with them.

jimbo123

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
MP830 MP980
the build quality on the IP4500 is legendary, especially compared to the newer models. IP4500 uses the PGI5 and 4 CLI8's ink carts, fully transparent and larger capacity compared the newer ink carts. easy to refill and reset.

new IP4500s on amazon go for $400 - $500 http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-list...546596&sr=8-2&condition=new&tag=vglnk-c964-20

i have a brand new IP4500 that i bought as a spare back in 03/2008, stored indoors w heat and AC. my printer is a MP830, now at 41,000 printed pages, same ink carts as IP4500.

given the longevity of my MP830s not sure if i'll ever need my spare IP4500.

J

------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Printers: Canon MP830, IP4500, MX700, MX860, MX870, MP980
Method: German Durchstich Method
Ink: Hobbicolors and OCP
Misc: Squeeze bottles - so much easier than syringes

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you, guys. You just converted me to a printer junkie. Given where the newer printers are heading, I will collect any of these printers whenever I can get hold of one. IP4200,4300,4500,4700,6600D,6700D or maybe MP640 or MP620 Just sent an email for the IP4500. Hope the wife won't complain about the storage space I am taking for these.

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
The reason the latter is an issue is that fried printheads have been known to kill printers and turn them into killers themselves.
Truer words have never been spoken, I usually come back here when I have a beef with Canon and tonight was another. My ip4500 is printing great, no problems, all the colors are there. And then WHAM. No power. Cuts off just as a job is about to start.
This printer has been rock solid, but no worries because I have another old one in the wings that had a print head problem.

Swap out the print head, do a test print, all the colors look like crap. I stop, make sure I put the good print head in and yeah, I did. So I'm trying another test print when...WHAM no power again.
I know that I may sound like a conspiracy theorist, but I am convinced that each and every canon printer/print head has an end of life built in.

I am heartbroken at the loss of my 2 4500's but this has further convinced me that unless you're replacing a impossibly clogged head, you're better off to leave any print head that was in a printer that "died" alone. You run a serious risk when you move the print head to another machine.

The truly sick part is a have access to an ewaste collection site, and if I could just park myself there for a few days I could probably grab more than my fair share of canon printers and parts. Everytime I go there, they are packed and ready to be shipped out so ripping apart shrinkwrapped bins is a no go.

I am seriously considering giving up on Canon, so many of the issues I've had with printers that are basically designed to self destruct at some point. You can actually see the progression over the range of models from old to new. I have an MP530 that prints like a champ, rarely clogs and just keeps on going. Compare it to the newer models which clog way more frequently using the same OCP ink and it's frustrating.

/end rant.

Sorry guys, just had to vent. It's hard to see these old gems go.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Since I posted here two weeks ago I have bought the following printers:
IP5200 = ad said never used but it is actually a used one but looks like it has been used very lightly. The two OEM Canon ink tanks were empty and the other near empty. Price was unbelievable bargain at $15.00
MG8220 = Brand new bought from a store at a close out price of $100, bought this as a backup AIO
MG5320 = Almost new with all accessories $40.00

I still need to buy a chip re-setter for the CLI-8 cartridges. I have OCP and IS ink. Which one should I use with the IP5200? I am getting an awful result using OCP with the MG5320.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I have an iP5200 and I refill OEM cartridges with KMP-U pigment ink and IS dye inks. The colour match with the IS inkset for CLI-8 cartridges is very good, very close to Canon OEM, so no profiling is necessary. Greyscales have a slight magenta cast, but they have the same slight magenta cast with Canon OEM ink.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the forum that you will have to use profiling with the OCP inks to get good colour match, so the IS inkset is what I will recommend.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
I have an iP5200 and I refill OEM cartridges with KMP-U pigment ink and IS dye inks. The colour match with the IS inkset for CLI-8 cartridges is very good, very close to Canon OEM, so no profiling is necessary. Greyscales have a slight magenta cast, but they have the same slight magenta cast with Canon OEM ink.

If I remember correctly, I read somewhere on the forum that you will have to use profiling with the OCP inks to get good colour match, so the IS inkset is what I will recommend.
Thanks. Did ever play with the magenta color setting in the printing preferences to get it just right? I noticed a sight bias/shift towards red. It is especially evident when printing a grayscale test pattern.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
dvdit wrote:

Thanks. Did ever play with the magenta color setting in the printing preferences to get it just right? I noticed a sight bias/shift towards red. It is especially evident when printing a grayscale test pattern.
No, I use the default settings. I don't notice the colour cast on colour photographs, and I find B/W prints acceptable. But if you are a B/W enthusiast then mikling's B/W inkset might be worth checking out? links here: http://stores.ebay.com/PrecisionColors/SPECIALTY-B-W-inks-/_i.html?_fsub=1215690011 and here: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=5604

Edit: Also see this: http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=8927 . I think the magenta cast on B/W photos with the iP5200 and IS inks is much less than The Hat's first picture .