RIP IP4700 - You've lived a good life!

websnail

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson, Canon, HP... A "few"
dvdit said:
Is it worth spending $80 somewhat on ip4700 rather than buying one of the new Canon printers for the same or less cash? What are the pros and cons. What if the problem is not the print head?
The short version is that it depends on why and how the print head died.

If it was just because the nozzles were clogged and you're pulling the plug before the printer itself refuses to even turn on then a new printhead shouldn't be a risk.

If however your printer is now completely non-functional and/or the printhead failed due to an overheat/electrical issue then you'd be better stepping away and considering your options.

The reason the latter is an issue is that fried printheads have been known to kill printers and turn them into killers themselves.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat & websnail,

I will take a picture of the back of the print head and post later tomorrow evening. I have noticed that one gold metal piece is missing from the contact on the back. I am thinking that it is not by default and that may be the problem but you guys will know better when you see it. I have been using after market ink cartridges by G&G Compatible with ip4700 for a few years with no clogging issues. I was not happy with the colors though. The Hat went to a great length to help me out with that issue. Thank you for all your help again, The Hat. I was never able to resolve it and since I have the MG6220, I use that for photos and ip4700 for everyday printing and did a good job on that front.

What I don't want to do if I get a new printer is that I don't want to use after market pre-filled cartridges anymore. I do refill my MG6220 with Precision ink using the German refill method, using Canon OEM cartridges, and I am happy and no issues at all. Next, I will try out other inks as suggested on this forum. I have many many CLI-221 empty OEM cartridges that I want to use, but that limit my printer choices to the older ones, which means used. I would like to get a newer printer but I don't like the fact the new printer come with sampler ink cartridges and now I have to buy the printer and new cartridges at the same time. In any case, if I do go that route, any refilling issues with the newer Canons?

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score

AS you can see from the picture one square gold plate is missing in the middle. Is that by design? Could that be why I am getting the error B200 message ?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dvdit said:
[url]http://www.nifty-stuff.com/forum/uploads/thumbs/9265_100_1093.jpg[/url]

AS you can see from the picture one square gold plate is missing in the middle. Is that by design? Could that be why I am getting the error B200 message ?
There is no way of knowing for sure if that brass contact should be there or not see one of my old print heads as an example,
yours has 4 rows of brass contacts to my 5 which is very different.
5128_old_printhead.jpg

I would hazard a guess and say it wouldnt help having it missing so if you have already cleaned these contacts with a bit of alcohol
and it still doesnt work then a replacement is your only option or sadly trash the printer.. :(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that the missing pad never was there. Wiping a printed circuit board with alcohol doesn't make the pads come loose. It normally takes overheating with a soldering iron, for instance when attempting to desolder a component for pads to come loose. Also the surface of the PCB doesn't look to be damaged by heat or chemicals where the pad is missing.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Thank you guys. I will now weigh the pros and cons of getting a new print head for the IP4700 vs buying a new or refurbished MG6220 with a one year warranty.

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Need your help please here. Is the Canon MG5320 a good printer as a replacement for ip4700? How is the image quality with MG5320? I see it comes with CD/DVD tray, which is a plus in my case. Any refilling issues with OCP ink ? Any other negatives I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? Any other Canon suggestion for good image quality, close to true/accurate colors and reasonable ink usage? Thanks.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
dvdit said:
Need your help please here. Is the Canon MG5320 a good printer as a replacement for ip4700? How is the image quality with MG5320? I see it comes with CD/DVD tray, which is a plus in my case. Any refilling issues with OCP ink ? Any other negatives I should be aware of before I pull the trigger? Any other Canon suggestion for good image quality, close to true/accurate colors and reasonable ink usage? Thanks.
The answer to your question is no, the MG5320 is not a good replacement for your iP4700.

The 4700 was the start of the slippery slide to poorer quality built printers and it still continues to this very day, I recently got a new iP7250 and its totally rubbish for an everyday printer, for occasion use its ok.

There has never been a problem with print quality on any of the new Canon printer launched;
far from it they all can do photos really great.

The only good thing about the 5320 is that you can use the same OEM cartridges (Chip swap)
and refill inks from your 4700 and there is also a chip resetter available, so not all bad..

Tudor

Print Addict
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson L800, 1400; ML-2165W
The Hat said:
The answer to your question is no, the MG5320 is not a good replacement for your iP4700.
What would be a good replacement?

The Hat said:
I recently got a new iP7250 and its totally rubbish for an everyday printer, for occasion use its ok.
What exactly makes it rubbish?

dvdit

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
dvdit said:

The 4700 was the start of the slippery slide to poorer quality built printers and it still continues to this very day,
I recently got a new iP7250 and its totally rubbish for an everyday printer, for occasion use its ok.

There has never been a problem with print quality on any of the new Canon printer launched;
far from it they all can do photos really great.

The only good thing about the 5320 is that you can use the same OEM cartridges (Chip swap)
and refill inks from your 4700 and there is also a chip resetter available, so not all bad..
I have a chip resetter for CLI-221 and CLI-226 along with a few CLI-221-PGI-220 and CLI-226 and PGi-225 cartridges. Given that and I currently have a Canon MG6120, I thought I would cut the cost down a lot if I stay with Canon since I already have all that is needed to do the refill. I just missed out on a used IP4700 on Ebay that was sold for $10. I added to it my watch list but I didn't get a reminder email so the auction was closed before I can bid on it. I can get a used IP4200, IP4500 and IP4600 locally. I see them listed on Craiglist sometimes along with MX*** and MP*** series. I thought my chances are better with a new printer. Here are the list of printer I am considering now:

Canon MG6120 - used
Canon MG6220 - refurbished
Canon MG5520 - used
Canon MG5320 - new
Canon MG 8220 - new - I can get this for $110 no if I act quick (very tempted to get this one mainly due to the price but I have no idea if this is any good and it is huge! which means I have to pull it out of the cabinet every time I print from the rear tray )

Or a used IP4200, IP4300, IP4500, IP4600, IP6600D and IP6700D bought locally - I can get a used IP4300 and IP4500 for $50 used now
I will probably get two printers if I buy used. Which model do you guys recommend give my situation and considering quality of print and durability of the printer. I am open to any other Canon model suggestion such as the MX*** and MP*** series if they are better than getting the newer models. I prefer the size of the printer to be less or equal to the size of MG6120. I am not in a rush to get one since I have the MG6120, except the sale on the MG8220 might be gone soon. Thanks for helping out. I appreciate it.