Epson SC-P800 pigment printer converted to dye ink printer

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson SC-P800,WF-7840,XP-15000
Today I had the time to refill a set of refillable auto reset cartridges with original Epson Claria HD ink extracted from ecotank ink from bottled 106 (CMYK) and 114 (G). These inks are proven to be very fade resistance. To obtain the light versions the CMG inks are diluted with my Clear Ink Base formula using a ratio of 3 parts of the concentrated ink and 7 parts of Clear Ink Base by volume (30%).

IMG_20240504_094325.jpg

IMG_20240504_094341.jpg

After installing the cartridges 3 consecutive deep cleaning cycles and 1 normal cleaning cycle are executed to flush out the pigment ink completely from the internal CISS tubing system and the print head, so the print head is primed with the new dye ink.

This is the nozzle check after the printer has been primed with the new Epson Claria HD dye ink:

IMG_20240504_172430.jpg

Using my miniature patch method I produced multiple profiles for colour printing, neutral ABW-printing and sepia tone with the ccStudio software and my Colormunki Photo:

IMG_20240504_172459.jpg

The only problem is that using the ABW-mode to print black and white the standard neutral setting gives a particular purplish hue, probably caused by the physical properties of the black and grey inks (bluish/purplish hue). See picture below: left ABW-mode (without profile), right: with dedicated ABW-profile.

IMG_20240504_172554.jpg

Picture with colour mode profile:

IMG_20240504_172615.jpg

This way you can get dye ink performance (optimal gloss, no gloss differential, no bronzing, significantly deeper blacks than pigment) on glossy papers and by using original Epson Claria HD bottled ecotank ink you will have much better fade resistance compared to any aftermarket inks.

Flummi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550, ET-7750
While I was wondering whether to change to pigmented ink to enhance print quality, you go the other way round.
Since I do not believe that light inks improve print quality visibly, your printer is now alike to my Epson ET-8550.

Maybe I simply stick to what I have. :)

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I have 3 SC-P800 printers, but dye ink is superior for high gloss papers, so I made of of my SC-P800 printer a dye ink printer version. The others are pigment.

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
I was using a P400 longer time ago, with pigment inks to test the effects of gloss optimizers. I changed as well frompigment to dye inks but this didn't work out very well - I had 2 nozzles remaining with intermittend blockage even after several cleaning cycles - flushing etc.

dye ink is superior for high gloss papers,
The one and only best (pigment) ink and paper combination does not exist, so it makes much sense to switch to dye inks as needed - better - more uniform gloss - no gloss differentials etc on particular papers, it is always a particular combination of inks and papers delivering the best result, general statements are just not valid in this context.

Maybe I simply stick to what I have.
Yes, that's a very good postition in this case.

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I was using a P400 longer time ago, with pigment inks to test the effects of gloss optimizers. I changed as well frompigment to dye inks but this didn't work out very well - I had 2 nozzles remaining with intermittend blockage even after several cleaning cycles - flushing etc.

The one and only best (pigment) ink and paper combination does not exist, so it makes much sense to switch to dye inks as needed - better - more uniform gloss - no gloss differentials etc on particular papers, it is always a particular combination of inks and papers delivering the best result, general statements are just not valid in this context.

Yes, that's a very good postition in this case.
Yes you are right: but the first tests gives me a much better gloss on all the glossy papers I have tested. However on pearl/satin papers I prefer pigment inks, whereas dye does not give me the extra whow effect like glossy paper + dye does.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
but this didn't work out very well - I had 2 nozzles remaining with intermittend blockage even after several cleaning cycles - flushing etc.
Just a taught, seeing as Canon inks are known to have some sort of clearing/cleaning agent in them, I wonder if it would be worth trying the Canon ink in your P400..

Flummi

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson ET-8550, ET-7750
Of course it's purely a matter of taste, but a photo on glossy paper looks to me like an advertising poster - mass-produced goods. On slightly textured semigloss/luster/pearl, however, I get the wow effect. I was primarily interested in pigmented inks for matte papers, as they coat the paper rather than penetrate it. But now I also like dye prints on matte papers, they have their own look. I also print a lot more on semigloss than matte.

Last edited:

pharmacist

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I also prefer semigloss/luster/pearl/satin papers, but some really prefer glossy paper and pigment ink is suboptimal for those of papers but works greaat on semigloss/luster/pearl/satin papers.

ptprintfan

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
Printer Model
ET-8550, ET-2810
Today I had the time to refill a set of refillable auto reset cartridges with original Epson Claria HD ink extracted from ecotank ink from bottled 106 (CMYK) and 114 (G). These inks are proven to be very fade resistance. To obtain the light versions the CMG inks are diluted with my Clear Ink Base formula using a ratio of 3 parts of the concentrated ink and 7 parts of Clear Ink Base by volume (30%).
Why didn't you make your grey ink from black+cib?

Ink stained Fingers

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
L805, WF2010, ET8550
Just a taught, seeing as Canon inks are known to have some sort of clearing/cleaning agent in them, I wonder if it would be worth trying the Canon ink in your P400..
Thanks for the tip, but the P400 is long gone, I'm currently using dye inks only on a ET-8550; I like glossy up to the A3 format, larger sizes typically generate too many reflections on glossy papers - of the of the room lamps - mirroring the room behind you etc , but this discussion just shows that everybody has different preferences; and the image itself may trigger you to use this paper and not another paper

Last edited: