Odd nozzle check

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
What do you think about thiz nozzle check pattern? I have never seen something like this. I would to read some oppinions.

Attachments

• $_57.JPG
    $_57.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 645

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
@Harvey You have one or things slightly a miss here, it’s either a purge unit problem (Loose or blocked tubing) or the print head has had an electrical failure, for which you should have had an error message.

So my money is on your purge playing up and not the print head, thankfully.. :)

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Did this happen shortly after you changed ink brand as mentioned in this post? Did you try the Google search mentioned in this post?

To determine if nearly all your dye inks are clogged, you could try a stamp test: do a print head cleaning and after that open the printer as if you would change a cartridge. When the print head has stopped in the cartridge change position, pull the power cord without using the on/off button. You can now remove the cartridges and the print head. Press the print head bottom against some soft tissue paper. You should get a stamp showing all the nozzle rows. If the colours are missing, something is clogged. It could be one or more of these: the nozzles, the fine passages in the top part of the print head, the ink inlets and the cartridges.

If the stamp shows all the colour stripes, most likely the print head and/or the logic board has failed.

The problem could also be caused by a purge unit failure. See this post for how to test the purge unit.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
Hi,

is it MG5100 series (MG5150 in UE, MG5120 in US)?
To me looks like QY6-0073 printhead nozzle check.

I got exactly same print from my MG5150 when I filled C, M, and Y carts with neutral liquid (IPA/deionized water mixture).

So, if this happened in working printer, try stamp test to check if nozzles are wet with ink (stamp nozzles on folded paper towel).
Please note, that printing/cleaning without ink in nozzles ends up in infamous errors: U052/B200.

If it is "new" or "refurbished" printhead from e-bay (or any other seller), be prepared to the worst - it may be kind of fraud (it can be done by blocking certain contacts on printhead connector).

Ł.

P.S.
Thanks to PeterBJ very good description of stamp test is provided :clap (but if both printhead and carts are removed, locking arm lowered, you can just power off printer with button).

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
... (but if both printhead and carts are removed, locking arm lowered, you can just power off printer with button).

If you remove the print head with power on and you take too long time to remove the cartridges and print head, the printer will park the print head. If the locking lever is raised, the printer mechanism could be damaged. I think my method is safer.

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
Thanks to all for replying, maybe purge unit is playing tricks or the printhead is blocked and then limited to only print black, I pin masked 2 QY6-0073 on 2 MP620, and they only print the PGBK pattern no hints of ink on any other color. Printhead is indeed QY6-0073 nice observation Lukasz this printer is MX860.

Ink cartridges were refilled at Costco, they are not entirely dried.

Łukasz

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Printer Model
MG6250 (MG5150 before)
If you remove the print head with power on and you take too long time to remove the cartridges and print head, the printer will park the print head. If the locking lever is raised, the printer mechanism could be damaged. I think my method is safer.
I agree with your arguments, but:
  1. It took over 2 minutes to start parking procedure when lid is open and printhead in place.
  2. According to my experience, carriage without printhead won't park at all until power-off.
  3. If carriage is left outside parking station, it is very vulnerable to damage (thanks to bend sheet rail).
Nice video (iP4900 series): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZheZf-vdho8
Printer is power on, and carriage won't park within at least 1 minute.

But lowering locking lever is a must regardless of method used to power-off the printer.

@Harvey, but how about stamp test?

Ł.

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
If it is "new" or "refurbished" printhead from e-bay (or any other seller), be prepared to the worst - it may be kind of fraud (it can be done by blocking certain contacts on printhead connector).

Ł.

I think martin0reg said to purchase his pritheads off Ebay from a Hong Kong seller named longyue2012 he offers new and refurbished printhead at low prices. I know it´s a gamble when you buy from chinese sellers. I will ask martin0reg about the printheads he acquired there.

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Are you 100% sure that the Costco refilled cartridges are OK? They could well have ruined the print head by ink starvation or by being refilled with an unsuitable ink. If you continue to use these cartridges they could also ruin a new print head.

Do you have another set of cartridges that are known to be OK? The best but expensive test tool is a set of new Canon OEM cartridges.

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
Regarding the printhead stamp, this printer is not in my hands right now (someone is selling it to me), and sent me pictures of the carts and the nozzle check you saw, my plan is to purchase only the printhead and use it in a compatible printer.