Fading away or is it..

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
Those problem seem to affect Hobbicolors in 2006-2008 I started refilling with them in late 2008 with their UW8 inks which could be their 2nd generation of inks.

It seemed to me that in a moment I had some kind of problem with pigment ink not colors with blocking, I will try to remember. When and ink revision was made in 2012 somehow I didn´t like the colors maybe a bad batch or something, then I switched to IS inks, nice colors and working well with profiles, but when using bad paper (Royal Brites) the prints looked awful at just 3 days printed, I even suffered this problem with Kirkland Tulip version, not so badly affected but obviously there was a a problem with the colors.

I contacted my old supplier he sent me a new ink set to test it, and I am happy to get back to Hobbicolors, now I am not using their pigment ink, as I acquired 1 liter from IS, but total success with the color dyes.

Last edited:

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
I've had a print on Canon Pro Platinum (Gloss) done with IS inks using a Pixma Pro100 fade out badly in just two months when left uncovered but out of direct sunlight ie. in the shade all day but inside near floor level with lightly tinted windows at coastal location some 300 metres from a surf beach.
A framed glass covered print with the same ink set on Canon Pro Lustre paper hung higher up less than 2 metres away from the faded print for about the same length of time shows no sign of fading.
This is helpful information, but it might be even more helpful if we can figure out exactly what caused the fading. Do you think the overall light levels were reasonably similar? And what kind of glass? Ordinary glass does not absorb the long-wavelength UVA. Also, one wonders whether the window was UV-filtered(?).

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
This is helpful information, but it might be even more helpful if we can figure out exactly what caused the fading. Do you think the overall light levels were reasonably similar? And what kind of glass? Ordinary glass does not absorb the long-wavelength UVA. Also, one wonders whether the window was UV-filtered(?).

My tests with IS ink were left uncovered, but they only looked good for 3 days a few more days by using Kirkland paper, that is a shame, now using the same paper that showed ultra fast changes is left uncovered and the pictures look like the day I printed them. It´s been a week, and no signs of defect.

I know third party inks won´t be the same as OEM, bad prints in less than a week that is a rip off.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
You should try and find a suitable paper to work with when using third party ink because they can fade quickly on some stock papers but then so can OEM inks, the paper is as much to blame for fading as the inks are..

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
@The Hat I know what you mean about paper, the bad paper I mentioned here which is Royal Brites is my guinea pig for testing ink. When it is used with Epson L800 ink I had no problem, neither with Hobbicolors, and Canon CLI 221 genuine ink.

I have no other ink to test it, but the problem is only reflecting with IS ink. Now that I remember I printed a picture with IS ink, and then I stored in the middle of a ream of paper, guess what? Same horrid colors after a few days. If am able to find the prints I will scan it for all of the members to see it.

peter D

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon Pixma Pro-100
My two examples (one behind glass and one not) were both in the same location and were exposed only to reflected (from white painted walls) sunlight and a low intensity 3000K energy saver type fluorescent lamp for a few hours per night. So I don't believe the problem is light related.
The backing material of the problem print was mat card with an acid free drawing paper separating it from the card. A mat slightly smaller than the print shows that where the print was covered by the mat fading was greatly retarded so backing material doesn't seem to be the issue.
For me this leaves two possible causes.
(a) Insufficient care was taken of the print during the first seven days after printing ie it was not left open to the air for long enough. The print was submitted to a photographic club for assessment two days after printing so was beyond my control at that point. Certainly this print had two days to dry properly so that seems an unlikely cause.
(b) The atmosphere around the print was the problem. The air in the location close to a food preparation area and also gets exposure to salt air. However other prints on Canon Glossy II paper that are not glass protected and wall mounted only 3 metres away are not showing signs of fading.
A mystery for sure.
A clue might be found in the fact that a print made for a friend with the same ink set (IS ink) made on Ilford Smooth Fine Art paper which was hung up unprotected in a dining are very close to the kitchen in suffered very bad fading over a 6 month period. As the paper is a textured surface type it is likely to absorbed fumes from the kitchen and deteriorated as a consequence.
I'd be interested to learn from any one who has experienced a similar problem to mine with prints made using cartridge refill dye inks.

Smile

Printer Master
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon, Brother, HP, Ricoh etc.
Very strange problems, I always say that mounted prints should be printed with OEM inks only, the albums are OK for third party inks too.

ThrillaMozilla

Printer Master
Reaction score
...then I switched to IS inks, nice colors and working well with profiles, but when using bad paper (Royal Brites) the prints looked awful at just 3 days printed, I even suffered this problem with Kirkland Tulip version, not so badly affected but obviously there was a a problem with the colors.
My tests with IS ink were left uncovered, but they only looked good for 3 days a few more days by using Kirkland paper....
I don't think you could be seeing fading after 3 days. It's common for the color to change a lot as the prints dry, and it can take a day or two to dry thoroughly. Different paper-ink combinations may react differently.

Last edited:

Harvey

Print Addict
Reaction score
I will look for these photos I moved a month ago, I stored these prints somewhere when I have some time I will look for them and will be scanned. A better understanding of the problem will be clear with scans.