No PGBK nozzle pattern printed on Canon Pixma MP830

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
And I really don't see the PGBK inlet port of the print head being covered with black ink, I just checked now. BUT when I drop Windex droplets on the PGBK inlet port, it flawlessly goes through the print head and through the bottom, so I'm sure that there is liquid flow in the PGBK channel.

Could this be defective print head already?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kevindd992002 said:
turbguy said:
No need to clean them white.

It accumulates in a waste ink pad (basically a stack of diapers) in the very bottom of the printer casing. Once the internal firmware of the printer calculates the diapers are full, the printer will shut down until they are serviced (and/or the firmware counter is "reset").

Wayne
Ah. When that happens, is it easily serviced? How long usually does that happen?

If the liquid is sucked properly, then I don't have any problems with my clogging in my purge system?
1) The purge pads are not easily serviced and expensive if done by an authorized Canon service center. DIY can be done but there are many steps/parts to handle. There are people on the forum who have done it.

2) From your description it sounds like the purge system is working.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kevindd992002 said:
And I really don't see the PGBK inlet port of the print head being covered with black ink, I just checked now. BUT when I drop Windex droplets on the PGBK inlet port, it flawlessly goes through the print head and through the bottom, so I'm sure that there is liquid flow in the PGBK channel.

Sorry Kevin but you need to get yourself a new print head, you can keep cleaning the current head till hell freezes over
but it wont change a thing or get it any better, the pigment heads are all burned out.. :(

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
kevindd992002 said:
After having done all these in order:

1.) 3day-soak of printhead in Windex
2.) Doing the soaked paper towel method while pressing the head against it so that the liquid comes through from the bottom of the head to the inlet ports until there is no more colored ink coming out
3.) Washing the head with purified water and then drying it in compressed air, using electric fan, and a lamp for around 6 hours
4.) Checked the purge system and both pads are working properly

Here's my nozzle check, it turned worse actually:

What is my next step here? :(
I would wait a day and then do another nozzle check. After cleaning the print head it may take time for ink to seep into all the nozzles for the CLI-8 Black ink cartridge. But you still do not have any PGI-5 Pigment ink on the nozzle check. More soaking may help though I have my doubts. The print head may be beyond repair. Patience and continued effort may still return results. But you need to steel yourself that a new print head is needed. It's up to you how long to continue with soaking/cleaning.

I googled "QY6-0061", which is the alphanumeric for your print head, and found prices for new print heads at US$50's on up. Also try Canon USA Parts for direct purchase.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
kevindd992002 said:
turbguy said:
No need to clean them white.

It accumulates in a waste ink pad (basically a stack of diapers) in the very bottom of the printer casing. Once the internal firmware of the printer calculates the diapers are full, the printer will shut down until they are serviced (and/or the firmware counter is "reset").

Wayne
Ah. When that happens, is it easily serviced? How long usually does that happen?

If the liquid is sucked properly, then I don't have any problems with my clogging in my purge system?
1) The purge pads are not easily serviced and expensive if done by an authorized Canon service center. DIY can be done but there are many steps/parts to handle. There are people on the forum who have done it.

2) From your description it sounds like the purge system is working.
Oh ok. So the purge system dictates the life of the printer? Is pooling it with Windex to clean it bad for the waste tank? I did it for around 5-6 times for both pads.

The Hat said:
kevindd992002 said:

Sorry Kevin but you need to get yourself a new print head, you can keep cleaning the current head till hell freezes over
but it wont change a thing or get it any better, the pigment heads are all burned out.. :(
stratman said:
kevindd992002 said:
After having done all these in order:

1.) 3day-soak of printhead in Windex
2.) Doing the soaked paper towel method while pressing the head against it so that the liquid comes through from the bottom of the head to the inlet ports until there is no more colored ink coming out
3.) Washing the head with purified water and then drying it in compressed air, using electric fan, and a lamp for around 6 hours
4.) Checked the purge system and both pads are working properly

Here's my nozzle check, it turned worse actually:

What is my next step here? :(
I would wait a day and then do another nozzle check. After cleaning the print head it may take time for ink to seep into all the nozzles for the CLI-8 Black ink cartridge. But you still do not have any PGI-5 Pigment ink on the nozzle check. More soaking may help though I have my doubts. The print head may be beyond repair. Patience and continued effort may still return results. But you need to steel yourself that a new print head is needed. It's up to you how long to continue with soaking/cleaning.

I googled "QY6-0061", which is the alphanumeric for your print head, and found prices for new print heads at US$50's on up. Also try Canon USA Parts for direct purchase.
Oh ok. I tried emailing canonparts@cusa.canon.com and they told me that this print head is already discontinued. Where can I buy a brand new one? Are those eBay bnew oem printheads any good?

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
The purge system is only one aspect that can go wrong in the life of a printer. Your tests of the purge system should be relatively trivial to the life expectancy of the purge pads unless you are doing something drastically different than expected when testing the purge system.

I called Canon USA and they no longer stock the MP830 print heads.

If you re-read my post I tell you what to google to research replacement print heads. It's up to you to figure out whom to purchase from as I have no experience with any of the sellers. Use your intuition to temper your predilection for risk. How quickly you want the print head may also be a factor besides your wallet.

Best of luck.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
stratman said:
The purge system is only one aspect that can go wrong in the life of a printer. Your tests of the purge system should be relatively trivial to the life expectancy of the purge pads unless you are doing something drastically different than expected when testing the purge system.

I called Canon USA and they no longer stock the MP830 print heads.

If you re-read my post I tell you what to google to research replacement print heads. It's up to you to figure out whom to purchase from as I have no experience with any of the sellers. Use your intuition to temper your predilection for risk. How quickly you want the print head may also be a factor besides your wallet.

Best of luck.
Well, yes. I do know the part number of this print head but I really don't know if the ones from eBay are really reliable. I don't need to have the print head fast but I need to order it ASAP. I was hoping people here with experience in buying print heads can share some thoughts.

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
How does one know if the logic board of the printer is the problem?