No PGBK nozzle pattern printed on Canon Pixma MP830

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
When there's no PGBK pattern on the nozzle check test page, what is the problem? My printer is unable to print with Black also. Can this be as simple as a cartridge problem?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
What changed? Did you just do a cart swap to a new cart?

Possible causes:

1. Cart not feeding ink (for instance, air vent tape not removed properly)

2. Cart not installed properly (clicked into place).

3. Failed print head

4. Failed Logic Board

5. Inoperative purge system.

Wayne

barfl2

Print Addict
Reaction score
I suggest you only do nozzle cleans until you find the source of the problem. I suggest you try another cart, do a nozzle check if some improvement do a deep clean and report back your results.

Good luck

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Ok, I'll try. I bought this printer off of eBay in good condition. I'll try switching the ink cart with a brand new one first and then go from there. The cart is installed properly since it did click into place and has a red light but the weird thing is that the printer detects the PGBK ink cart as full when it is only around 1/4 full physically. I hope it's not a failed print head or logic board. For inoperative purge system, I'm reading in other threads that it is simple to unclog it, is that right?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
To repeat, what changed? That info would help.. Is this the first time you are using the printer after receiving it?

In my experience, a sudden stop of printing after properly changing a cart is an inoperative purge system. A clogged system may respond to simple cleaning attempts (such as flooding the purge pad with cleaner and letting it sit, then doing a deep clean, and then several repeats). More often than not, it's a real "dig" into the printer to clear the clog or fix the problem (such as a disconnected hose, or a solid clog in the pump, tubing or manifolds).

Wayne

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Sorry about that. Yes. As soon as I receive the printer, I installed my own Canon OEM inks (not sure if the PGBK is dried up or not) and this was the result. So I have to make sure by swapping the PGBK card with a new OEM one.

Oh ok. What kind of cleaning liquids are applicable? Windex, water, and isopropyl alcohol?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
kevindd992002 said:
Sorry about that. Yes. As soon as I receive the printer, I installed my own Canon OEM inks (not sure if the PGBK is dried up or not) and this was the result. So I have to make sure by swapping the PGBK card with a new OEM one.

Oh ok. What kind of cleaning liquids are applicable? Windex, water, and isopropyl alcohol?
If you only got the printer and have not used it at all yet, I would take out the print head and soak in about 1 inch Windex
plus pour some Windex on the inlets also and leave it over night then try it tomorrow again..

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
kevindd992002 said:

If you only got the printer and have not used it at all yet, I would take out the print head and soak in about 1 inch Windex
plus pour some Windex on the inlets also and leave it over night then try it tomorrow again..
But this is a used printer so that might explain the problem. Is there an alternative to Windex? Is it possible that the PGBK ink tank is the only culprit here?

turbguy

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon i960, Canon i9900
Yes, It's possible (but not probable) that the cart is to blame. If the printer has been unused for some time, a clog in the print head or purge system is more likely (particularly is the prior user used non-oem inks which can coagulate mixed with OEM inks).

Original Windex (contains some ammonia) is easily available in the USA. Where do you reside? Some countries seem to think ammonia requires strict regulation...

Wayne

kevindd992002

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
I live in the Philippines. We had Windex before but I'm not sure if we still have it now, I'll try looking for it.

I have another print head from my ip4200 which I don't know if that is the component that destroyed that printer. Do you suggest I try that print head on the MP830? I bought that print head brand new from eBay. The ip4200 and MP830 uses the same print head model anyway.