Can anyone recommend a 3rd party resettable friendly CLI-8bk?

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Can anybody recommend a 3rd party cli-8bk that is able to be reset?

thanks in advance!

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
I too can only recommend the Refilling of OEM cartridges, Jettec maybe perfectly fine to use just once
but the jury is still out regarding there long term refill ability.

I currently use two types of KMP inks in my BCI-3, PGI-5 and CLI-520 carts and think its the best thing since slice bread.

Auto Reset chips are great to use as a stop gap if your unable get a resetter for your current cartridge chip,
but they can be a pain in the ass if you dont remember to leave your printer switched on all the time, thereby giving false readings..

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
Hi, thanks for your replies! Does anybody have a source for auto reset chips only? I have tons of black carts, but just need the chips actually.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
nanosec said:
Hi, thanks for your replies! Does anybody have a source for auto reset chips only? I have tons of black carts, but just need the chips actually.
I think youre wasting your time because as far as I know you can only get ARC chips as a bundle and not single individuals,
so if you want four for instance youll get one colour of each only.

Both Precisioncolor and inkjetcarts do some ARC chips so that would be your first port of call.

I know I shouldnt ask this but what happened to all of the chips from the tons of black cartridges,
just curious ..

nanosec

Printer Guru
Reaction score
They lasted forever, never any problems. I have a giant stash of empty cartridges that I reset, and through the years a common occurrence this that once or twice a year a cli-8bk will fail. No other colours, just the black. (this occurs over multiple printers)

Yesterday or the day before I had an unrecognized error with a black, and moved a working black into it's place. The light came on and winked out. (both these carts have been reset at least 50+ times.) Surprise, I now had two two non working black chips.
I threw a 3rd party black into the printer and it worked just fine. I'm convinced that there is a cap on how many times a black can be reset. Of course I can't prove anything, but I've reset enough Canon carts to know that there's some DRM nuances in their chips.
For example sometimes an unrecognized cart just needs to be reset to be "recognized".

I fill about 160 carts a month and over the years it's become a such a common problem with just the black cli-8k failing that i have a stock on hand just for when the chips fail. Again it doesn't happen very often, I figure once or twice a year a chip will fail. And again, only on the black, if it's any other colour, it's usually because I've mishandled something.

I know the easy route is just to go and buy another OEM and start resetting again, but I figured just buying the auto reset chips would be a great thing.

I've never seen the ip4300 do what it did the other day, which is kill a chip right off the hop, it was moved from another printer so the chip was good right up until I put it into the printer with the existing problematic cart. I was concerned that there might some sort of issue with it blowing chips on black, but the third party cart worked just fine. I'm going to throw an oem later this week and see what happens.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
It sounds like your having a problem with the printer rather than the cartridge chips,
maybe it's just a pin bent onto the one beside it ?.

The cheaper option would be to get another load of used empty OEM or compatibles cartridges
and swap the chips over, I dough that the resetter is causing the chip to blow..

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
I think that the chips could also be worn out after 50+ resets. I think they are of the EEPROM or maybe flash RAM variety, like the the chips used in USB sticks ans SSD hard disk. It is not recommended that you defragment those drives, as this causes wear, subtracting from the lifespan of the chips, as they will only last for a limited number of read/write operations.

Another cause of problems could be dirty contacts on the chip or the contact springs in the printhead carriage. If the chips were transferred from other cartridges, probably they are not aligned correctly on the new cartridge.

I have an original Redsetter , first generation, for PGI-5/CLI-8 chips. When the battery runs low the resetter becomes unreliable, sometimes the resetter makes a reset sometimes not, and in case it makes a reset the time before the constant red light from the cartridge is longer than normal. The cure is of course a new battery.

I have a PGI-5 PGBK cartridge, that behaves normally when resat, but is rejected by the printer. I'm sure the chip is clean and properly aligned. I think the chip has failed.

If a lot of CLI-8 BK chips have problems and no other chips have problems, then I think that the contact springs for CLI-8 BK in the printhead carriage could be dirty or misaligned. I see The Hat also suggested this possibility.

DaveSlater

Newbie to Printing
Reaction score
You might also have pigmented ink built up in that particular connector.

Would be fairly simple to flush that connector with alcohol & water while exercising the gold fingers.

It is no too hard to disassemble the printhead down to the connecters that mates to the cartridges. There are 5 of them identical. I would try swapping them around to see if the problem follows.
power up printer
select replace ink cartridge move printhead to center
remove all ink cartridges
pull ac power cord from wall
remove cover
unplug printhead ribbon cables from main board
release clamp springs on printhead support bar
unclip and rotate left hand support bar bearing
rotatesupport bar so left end will slide thru metal side
remove support bar
unclip and slide ribbon cable support plastic to left releasing ribbon cable
release left side printhead belt tension spring
remove belt from motor and tension pulley
remove printhead

The printhead is two shells snapped toghether
release both clips near bottom of printhead opposite to the 3 tabs at top of printhead
carefully pry shells apart while watching cables
note 4 conducto cable feedining connectors
unplug cable
slide the printed circuit card the cable plugged into forward to release
Observe the 5 identical connectors all in a row
release connectors by lifting clip
clean and swap connector modules

reassemble