Can anyone recommend a 3rd party resettable friendly CLI-8bk?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
Sorry Dave but that is a total waste of time as there is nothing to be gained by interfering with the internals of a print head,
apart from giving it a good soak thats about all that can be done with them.

It's one thing to pull it apart just to see inside (curiosity) when you have a new
or spare one to put back in but not if your relaying on it to print..:(

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
The contact springs for the chips are located in the printhead carriage, not in the printhead. So if you read printhead carriage instead of printhead, DaveSlater's post makes much more sense.

I would not recommend dismantling the printer to this level, I think you can clean these springs in an easier way. You might need to remove the cover of the printer though. I will look into this and try shoot a picture showing the contact springs in a Pixma 4200.

An AIO is much more difficult to disassemble than a printer only machine, as you will also have to remove the scanner part, so what printer model are we talking about, nanosec?

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I appreciate your explanation Peter and was aware of what daveSlater was talking about
as with my earlier comments to nanosec about these same bent pins.

I was merely trying to point this out that level of dismantling of any part of the print head mechanism is most unwise
and total unnecessary for most print gurus that frequent this forum (Thinking Forwards). :hu

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
Hi The Hat

You understood DaveSlater's post, but does everybody? The omission of the word carriage totally spoils the content IMHO, therefore the explanation.

Hi nanosec

As promised, here is a picture of the printhead carriage and printhead in a Pixma 4200, opened as if you would change a cartridge and with the cartridges removed. I think it is not necessary to dismantle the printer to check and clean the contact springs for the chips, marked in red.

6881_ip4200_printhead_carriage.jpg

PeterBJ

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MP990
If Tandberg is right, then a USB powered should be preferred for a battery powered one, but I don't think it is a resetter problem. Why is only CLI-8 BK affected? But I have noticed that when the battery runs low on my Redsetter for PGI.5/CLI-8 it becomes unreliable, some cartridges reset, and others don't, so I cannot rule out that is is a resetter problem.

So nanosec, is your resetter battery or USB powered?

As only CLI-8 BK has a problem and the chips seem to fail after being inserted in the printer, I think that dirty or misaligned contact springs for the CLI-8 BK chip is the most likely cause of the problem. Ink residues are conductive and could cause problems.

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
PeterBJ said:
Ink residues are conductive and could cause problems.
I have discovered this very issue with support problems. Some users forget to reset before refilling, then reset afterwards, drip some ink into the pins and then the weird behavior begins the next time the resetter is used.

msmart

Print Addict
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon iP4500
Peter mentioned dirty contacts so what about the old eraser trick? Rub a pencil eraser on the chip contact points.

This trick worked great on some communications gear I used long ago. When it started acting flaky, I would pull the board and "erase" the contact points.

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
I had a photo black and a cyan chip fail after resetting them successfully (Clear led light)
for use in different printers but have not had one fail since changing my resetter..

mikling

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
After having gone through and reset possibly thousands of OEM chips, my experience is this. Some will reset properly according to the resetter but will still not work properly inside the printer. Others will not reset or the resetter will refuse it and just sit there. Now these are recycled cartridges and OEM chips.

The key point? The failure rate looks to be less than one half of one percent. This I will accept as a normal failure rate because sh_t happens.

One thing to note is that OEM chip circuit boards do not encapsulate the chip itself in epoxy...I suppose because durability is not a concern for what was meant to be used once. Many aftermarket chip boards like ARCs which are meant to be used over a long period encapsulate theirs. So their construction might be superior. Despite the non encapsulation, the recycled cartridges are all fully immersed many times in hot water and chemicals and despite that the chips survive as long as they are allowed to dry out properly.

Chips do sometimes fail and we need to accept that.