Yippee! I just refilled my first ink cart + a few questions

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
After lurking forever and hemming/hawing about it- I just refilled my first CLI-8 cart for my Canon Pro9000.

I knew I didnt want to pay the insane oen prices, and after a bad experience with some aftermarket refilled carts (LD brand), I was committed to trying it myself.

This forum was crucial in giving me the confidence to do it (top fill, with Mikling-vent-block step to avoid oversat the sponge).

Well, it was pretty darn anticlimactic! :) everything went great- too me longer to type this than to actually do the whole thing.

The only danger I saw was nearly tipping over the bottle of ink while refilling..... methinks some squeeze bottles will be in my future!

So just a few questions before I try my 2nd cart:

1. Do I need to make sure the syringe and needle is BONE DRY before starting? I bought a syringe for each color- but now I see that was overkill since it cleans up so well.... but just wondering on this question.
2. How full do I fill the cli-8 cart so that the chip is accurate? Im using a resetter and want to make sure. I underfilled the first cart (thinking that would be a good trial), but then realized that was the worse possible choice since it will likely run dry before the chip says so....
3. Since I'm switching to Hobbicolors- should I just swap out all the other non-OEM carts regardless of ink left?

lowepg

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
The Hat said:
lowepg
Thank you for reporting your good success even if it was over to quickly for you to enjoy.
Squeeze bottles are really great and wont spill if tipped over accidently.
Try this site http://www.howardelectronics.com/kahnetics/squeezebottles.html :)
Do these seal-up tight enough for long term ink storage? I guess it would defeat the purpose if I had to pour ink into the squeeze bottles everytime I want to use them :)

stratman

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon MB5120, Pencil
lowepg said:
Do these seal-up tight enough for long term ink storage? I guess it would defeat the purpose if I had to pour ink into the squeeze bottles everytime I want to use them :)
Yes, as long as you leave the Luer Lock needle on it and then cap the needle with a cap, sheath, scabbard, whatever. Easy peasy.