Workforce printers showing new ink cartridges depleted after little use

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP
People write these reviews for their own reasons and they are mostly untrue, usually because the printer can't do the things they taught it could, and should be taken with a grain of salt, so let’s make it clear about waste ink..

ALL Canon inkjet printers use ink to clean when they have not been left standing unused for some time, and the more ink cartridges they contain the more waste there is, it’s uneconomical to leave a large printer unused indefinitely, if waste ink is an issue for you.. The Cows have to be feed whether you milk them or not..

Printers only use the minimum amount of ink for cleaning which results in never producing a poor print due to a clogged nozzle, that’s never mentioned in any reviews…

P.S. When a printer turns on to initialize that does not mean its wasting ink, and only misinform people think that, there’s more to prepping a printer than most realise..
I want to agree with you on this one because I do understand that printers need to run some ink during the cleaning process. But this printer in particular uses/wastes A LOT of ink if you don't leave it on and print anything with it at least one a week.

This post is the reason I'm on here today. I sourced my first Pro 1000 that had 20% ink left across the board minus 5 cartridges that needed to be replaced. I spent $60 each for new Canon cartridges, only for the printer to take at least 10 minutes agitating and then another 10 minutes making sounds like it's about to get ready to print. Only to inform me the other ink cartridges have now run out and the new ones have about 20% missing from them.

The machine wasn't used for maybe a year I was told. And from my research, I've read that the longer you let this printer sit, the longer the agitating and initial cleaning process takes. I'm sure once the other cartridges it wants arrives, the now not so new cartridges will be down another 20% doing whatever it does to get them ready. This printer is for people who have more money to burn than common sense. After working with a handful of Canon and Epson "higher end" printers, I'm sticking with my PRO-100. It seems to be the best overall. That's my opinion though.

Last edited:

The Hat

Printer VIP
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Canon/3D, CR-10, CR-10S, KP-3
But this printer in particular uses/wastes A LOT of ink if you don't leave it on and print anything with it at least one a week.
Most printers do that anyway, it’s not specific to any one Canon printer, because it’s important to print something at least once or twice a month, I only print about once every 3 months so I except what the printer does to get ready to print again..

The machine wasn't used for maybe a year I was told. And from my research, I've read that the longer you let this printer sit, the longer the agitating and initial cleaning process takes.
Acquiring a Pro 1000 that has not printed for quite some time is not normal, so do expect the printer to take some time to get back into proper trim.
only for the printer to take at least 10 minutes agitating and then another 10 minutes making sounds like it's about to get ready to print. Only to inform me the other ink cartridges have now run out and the new ones have about 20% missing from them.
The Pro 1000 has internal ink tanks (Reservoirs) where it stores ink for printing and they were probably empty when you received the printer, so it must fill these up first before it can do any cleaning cycles.
I've read that the longer you let this printer sit, the longer the agitating and initial cleaning process takes. I'm sure once the other cartridges it wants arrives, the now not so new cartridges will be down another 20% doing whatever it does to get them ready.
When you receive your new cartridges, and install them, it won’t waste any further ink getting ready to print, because the 20% of ink you taught was wasted, is in fact still inside the printer, and it can be used to print, it’s just waiting on you to send it a print job.. this only happens when you initialise the printer for the first time..

P.S. the previous owner most likely empty the internal printer reservoir so it could be transported safely.. Which is correct.. O' and don't forget about the waste ink tank !

Hope this helps you understand the printer a little better..

MooreDesignLabs

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Printer Model
PRO100,200|1430,P600,P800|HP
Most printers do that anyway, it’s not specific to any one Canon printer, because it’s important to print something at least once or twice a month, I only print about once every 3 months so I except what the printer does to get ready to print again..

Acquiring a Pro 1000 that has not printed for quite some time is not normal, so do expect the printer to take some time to get back into proper trim.

The Pro 1000 has internal ink tanks (Reservoirs) where it stores ink for printing and they were probably empty when you received the printer, so it must fill these up first before it can do any cleaning cycles.

When you receive your new cartridges, and install them, it won’t waste any further ink getting ready to print, because the 20% of ink you taught was wasted, is in fact still inside the printer, and it can be used to print, it’s just waiting on you to send it a print job.. this only happens when you initialise the printer for the first time..

P.S. the previous owner most likely empty the internal printer reservoir so it could be transported safely.. Which is correct.. O' and don't forget about the waste ink tank !

Hope this helps you understand the printer a little better..
Thank you so much for taking the time to break this printer down for me. This was indeed a unique scenario. The previous owner passed away and it was left with their daughter who knew right away this was way too much printer for their families use. From what she stated, it sat mostly unused for the last year.

And I did notice how it looks very different inside than the other printers I've worked with in the past. I was really hoping the 20% the was "lost" was actually just in the ink tubes now. As they're quite long inside the printer.