Windex - UK equivalent?

DomtheMon

Getting Fingers Dirty
Reaction score
Hi all. Have read many times on the forum about using windex to clean printheads. We don't have this in the UK but have all sorts of other products, including vinegar based, sprays, bottles of creams, god knows what!

Everyone says to use a window cleaner but as we have so many different brands (and clearly lots of different ingredients) I am a bit cautious of simply buying the first one I find.

Could anyone list the key ingredients of Windex please, and what colour the liquid is (I have seen pink, green and blue window cleaning fluids here in the UK!) so that I can try and work out what our equivalent product is?

Many thanks

Tin Ho

Print Addict
Reaction score
You can use liquid Ammonia sold in drug stores and super markets. In the US there is something called Lemon Ammonia (there is a smell of lemon from it). You can use this and mix with water and use it instead of Windex.

I use a 1 (Lemon Ammonia) to 10 (water) mix to purge PGI-5 and BCI-3eBK ink cartridges. It makes an obvious difference when water alone could not flush the stuff in the cartridge out but with this Ammonia /water mix it did the job quickly. Lemon Ammonia is very cheap. The bottle I got will probably last a life time for me. It cost less than $5.

ghwellsjr

Printer Master
Platinum Printer Member
Reaction score
Printer Model
Epson WP-4530
One of the reasons I like to use a premade window cleaner is that I know the water that is used in it will not have any impurities that will cause any problems in a print head. If it did, it would sure show up on a window. I'm never sure that any bottled water is as good.